LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 318
0 members and 318 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 01:17 PM   #1
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Where we all frolic in the effluent of Fringey's political wisdom.

Carry on, folks.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 03-11-2005 at 01:26 PM..
Old 03-11-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
ltl/fb

[insert fringey's brainstorm here]

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Carry on, folks.
A couple thread titles suggested in the last couple weeks were good, but I can't remember them -- anyone care to help?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #3
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Carry on, folks.
When are you going to start linking from my new favorite political blog, http://allintensivepurposes.blogspot.com/?
Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
bilmore
Too Good For Post Numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by Shape Shifter
The study is here. To the extent that there is a bankruptcy "crisis," I suspect it is inextricably linked to the healthcare crisis. Take it away, RT.
First, note that I hate this bill, so I'm not trying to shoot it down here.

But - the study was way too flawed and skewed to conclude that almost half of BKs' were medical-bill driven. Their definitions encompassed far more than was proper to make such a conclusion.

"We developed two summary measures of medical bankruptcy. Under the rubric “Major Medical Bankruptcy” we included debtors who either (1) cited illness or injury as a specific reason for bankruptcy, or (2) reported uncovered medical bills exceeding $1,000 in the past years, or (3) lost at least two weeks of work-related income because of illness/injury, or (4) mortgaged a home to pay medical bills. Our more inclusive category, “Any Medical Bankruptcy,” included debtors who cited any of the above, or addiction, or uncontrolled gambling, or birth, or the death of a family member."

I've seen better studies that put it at around 10%-15%. What this study shows is that at least half of all BKs include at least $1000 in medical debt (hell, I've got that right now), were caused by missing at least two weeks of wages because of illness, or were brought on by someone's death, or addiction, or gambling problem - and all of these were self-reported by the bankrupt people.

No, the case for trashing this bill shouldn't include this study, but it doesn't need it.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:26 PM   #5
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally posted by Shape Shifter
When are you going to start linking from my new favorite political blog, http://allintensivepurposes.blogspot.com/?
that blogger is the biggest idiot i've seen- please don't tie down this board with the shit he vomits-

By the way, have you heard about the new House inititive to charge suspects for their interrogations? Good idea- bad? Discuss.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 03-11-2005 at 01:32 PM..
Old 03-11-2005, 01:29 PM   #6
sgtclub
Serenity Now

Credit Cards

I'm too lazy to cut and paste between threads, so I'm just going to spew here. If I didn't respond to your post, feel free to let me know.

To Bilmore: I'm surprised at you - since when do you you look down from your high post and think of all the little people that need protection. It doesn't take a law school degree to be able to manage debt or to realize that a 30% interest rate is very high. Some of the best business people I know barely graduated high school. This isn't a question of brains. The "little people" are a lot smarter than you think. It's a question or responsibility.

I don't think there should be interest rate caps.

To Fringey: Of course they have to disclose interest rates. The interest rate is a material term, the absense of which would make the contract unenforceable.

To Wonk: I view the G's roll in banking much like I do in securities. It really is not necessary because a private entity could step in (see, e.g., Nasdaq and NYSE), but all in all, it probably makes the system more efficient, so I'm OK with it.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #7
Gattigap
Southern charmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
By the way, nave you heard about the new House inititive to charge suspects for thei interrogations? Good idea- bad" Discuss.
Um, it's difficult to know, really. But here's an "h," an "a," an "r", and a few extra full sets of alphabet letters to add some more words and spell out what you're talking about here.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:30 PM   #8
Spanky
For what it's worth

Name Dropping

In the last thread Shape Shifter stated:

"Unlike spanky, who knew Orwell."

It has become clear to me that Wonk, Fringy, Shape Shifter and others think that I am arrogant, name dropping blowhard. Clearly they think I don't know what I am talking about on any of these subjects and that I am mainly here just to show of my connections and past experiences.

Well to reinforce this impression I have posted, with permission of a moderator, an attachment. Sometime ago I received a phone call on my cell phone while I was in Costco choosing among crates of cereal. The ID of the phone call was blocked so I did not answer it. When I listened to the voice mail it turned out to be someone thanking me and my organization for our endorsement.

Here is the link. Check it out (it is actually pretty funny).

www.lawtalkers.com/arnold.mp4
Old 03-11-2005, 01:31 PM   #9
ltl/fb

Quote:
Originally posted by bilmore
First, note that I hate this bill, so I'm not trying to shoot it down here.

But - the study was way too flawed and skewed to conclude that almost half of BKs' were medical-bill driven. Their definitions encompassed far more than was proper to make such a conclusion.

"We developed two summary measures of medical bankruptcy. Under the rubric “Major Medical Bankruptcy” we included debtors who either (1) cited illness or injury as a specific reason for bankruptcy, or (2) reported uncovered medical bills exceeding $1,000 in the past years, or (3) lost at least two weeks of work-related income because of illness/injury, or (4) mortgaged a home to pay medical bills. Our more inclusive category, “Any Medical Bankruptcy,” included debtors who cited any of the above, or addiction, or uncontrolled gambling, or birth, or the death of a family member."

I've seen better studies that put it at around 10%-15%. What this study shows is that at least half of all BKs include at least $1000 in medical debt (hell, I've got that right now), were caused by missing at least two weeks of wages because of illness, or were brought on by someone's death, or addiction, or gambling problem - and all of these were self-reported by the bankrupt people.

No, the case for trashing this bill shouldn't include this study, but it doesn't need it.
Once again, total agreement. Though, I do think there is a medical crisis and that the way charges for/access to medical treatment are a big contributor to continuing poverty for people who start out relatively poor.

Last edited by ltl/fb; 03-11-2005 at 01:34 PM..
Old 03-11-2005, 01:32 PM   #10
ltl/fb

Name Dropping

Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky

It has become clear to me that Wonk, Fringy, Shape Shifter and others think that I am arrogant, name dropping blowhard. Clearly they think I don't know what I am talking about on any of these subjects and that I am mainly here just to show of my connections and past experiences.

Well to reinforce this impression I have posted, with permission of a moderator, an attachment. Sometime ago I received a phone call on my cell phone while I was in Costco choosing among crates of cereal. The ID of the phone call was blocked so I did not answer it. When I listened to the voice mail it turned out to be someone thanking me and my organization for our endorsement.

I don't think you are a namedropper. And I don't think you say anything that is untrue if viewed in isolation.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:33 PM   #11
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
that blogger is the biggest idiot i've seen- please don't tie down this board with the shit he vomits-
Indeed.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #12
Gattigap
Southern charmer

Name Dropping

Quote:
Well to reinforce this impression I have posted, with permission of a moderator, an attachment.
Congrats.

By the way, if you notice later that you start receiving flowers, candies or other forget-me-nots signed only "Love, Club," know that this was the spark.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:35 PM   #13
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Name Dropping

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
I don't think you are a namedropper. And I don't think you say anything that is untrue if viewed in isolation.
He claimed to have met Sidd- how is that name dropping? All you have to do is show up w/o counsel for arraignment in SF municipal court on a misdemenor charge and there is a 20% chance a judge will introduce you to Sidd-

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 03-11-2005 at 01:40 PM..
Old 03-11-2005, 01:37 PM   #14
Sexual Harassment Panda
Don't touch there

Name Dropping

Quote:

FWIW, I don't think you're an arrogant name dropping blowhard, but Schwarzenegger is a whore.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #15
sgtclub
Serenity Now

Name Dropping

Quote:
Originally posted by Gattigap
Congrats.

By the way, if you notice later that you start receiving flowers, candies or other forget-me-nots signed only "Love, Club," know that this was the spark.
I couldn't open it. What did it say?
Closed Thread