LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 336
0 members and 336 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #1501
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

Republicans with guts

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop
No one here has posted about the news that Jeb Bush sent state troopers (or their Fla. equivalent) to remove Schiavo and take her to another facility where a feeding tube would be installed, only to have the local police refuse to cooperate. The state troopers backed down. Brother Bush apparently doesn't feel quite so strongly about it.

"I have a grave concern that they'll expedite the process to kill her with an overdose of morphine," Bob Schindler told the press Monday outside the hospice where his 41-year old daughter is a patient.

"She's alive and she's fighting like hell to live," he added, remarking on his daughter's "amazing, amazing endurance."

Schindler added that when he visited his daughter Monday, she was "still showing facial expressions" -- among other signs of interaction.

"She's trying to talk but it's very, very subdued," Schindler said. "All we need, if it's not too late, is for someone to save her," he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...e_050328195614

Too bad he's not listening closely enough to hear her say, "Give me the morphine, you SOB!"
Old 03-28-2005, 05:39 PM   #1502
bilmore
Too Good For Post Numbers

Republicans with guts

Quote:
Originally posted by Shape Shifter
Too bad he's not listening closely enough to hear her say, "Give me the morphine, you SOB!"
So, you think this is hurting her?
Old 03-28-2005, 05:41 PM   #1503
Secret_Agent_Man
Classified

Tom DeLay, raging hypocrite.

Quote:
Originally posted by bilmore
As long as you're willing to concede that you think he's a shit, and thus any smear that can be found is fair game even though it has nothing to do with the Schiavo case, I'm happy.
I wouldn't quite say that.

But I'm not going to shed too many crocodile tears when Tom is abused, fairly or unfairly.

S_A_M

Voted Second Most Helpful Poster on the Politics Board.
Old 03-28-2005, 05:52 PM   #1504
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Republicans with guts

Quote:
So, you think this is hurting her?
About as much as he thinks she's talking quietly.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-28-2005, 08:37 PM   #1505
chad87655
PTL

Shame on You

Quote:
Originally posted by Free Terri!

Greer seems like a bloodthirsty savage, hellbent on executing this poor young woman with no due process for her at all.

And thus we are left with the "order" of the imperial judiciary.

Well, when it comes time to pay the piper, "orders" don't always hold as a defense in the face of what everyone knows is the truly righteous moral position. The excuse of just following "orders" was not too convincing to those who presided over the Nuremberg tribunals and it will be found to be just as as morally void by He who judges Greer, Felos, Schiavo and there accomplices when that righteous Day of Judgment comes.
Amen! God bless brother! Our prayers seem to be sustaining Terri for now, highlighting Guv'ner Jebs pissyellow cowardice in the face of facist judicial oppression.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:38 PM   #1506
chad87655
PTL

maybe she really did want to die

Old 03-28-2005, 11:20 PM   #1507
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
What I don't get about the trial court's decision is if there is any doubt shouldn't you err on the side of life?
What makes you think the court had any doubt?

And what makes you think the courts should just be making up new law when you like the result?

Quote:
If you err on the side of life you can always change that decision if further evidence arises. But if you choose death, if further evidence arises you can't go back.
This may be a valid question in the abstract. But do you think this is a risk here, when there has been 16 years of litigation and legislation?

Quote:
And why is her husband spending so much time and energy getting her put under?
That is an excellent question. And I can't come up with an answer other than he must really think she wouldn't want to be kept "alive."

Quote:
On another note, as Free Terri demonstrates, the Evangelicals are a fickle mistress. Jeb and the rest of the Republicans whipped them up and now the beast has turned on them. I don't think Jeb saw this coming. I think Jeb figured he could reap tons of political capital (money and precinct walkers) for his stand on this. I think that Jeb knew that the courts would overule him and so he had nothing to lose. I think once the courts had made their decision Jeb thought that the evangelicals would think he had done all he could. He didn't think they would want him to break the law. As a moderate Republican I can tell you once the Evangelicals direct their hate at you all reason is lost. After primaries they get so angry when the moderate Republican wins that the take the moderate down in the general so the democrat can win. They do this out of pure spite and emotion. They did that to Brooks Firestone in Santa Barbara. Jeb pissed of the majority by getting involved and now he has pissed off his base by not going all the way. The evangelicals hate half measure more than no measures.
I remove my motion to expel Florida from the Union.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:23 PM   #1508
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Before you execute an innocent person (taking the feeding tube away is a slow form of execution), shouldn't you show that they wanted to die beyond a reasonable doubt?
As a lawyer, you should know you are comparing apples and oranges.

And yes, circumstantial evidence does mean weak evidence.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:29 PM   #1509
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Tom DeLay, raging hypocrite.

Quote:
No, apparently, (bad pun?), his father answered that for them. How come everyone likes to simply meander past this main point?
I haven't followed all of the Delay father details, but how did he answer it any more than Terri did?
Old 03-28-2005, 11:56 PM   #1510
Spanky
For what it's worth

more on DeLay's hypocrisy

Quote:
Originally posted by Replaced_Texan
You get a precious metal vibrator dispensation.
From what I understand (which is hearsay) DeLay was pretty moderate when he first got elected. Then he realized the key to raising money and party leadership was getting extreme. Just a rumour I heard from another Congressman.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:49 AM   #1511
Spanky
For what it's worth

Quote:
Originally posted by Adder
What makes you think the court had any doubt?
I am just assuming there was doubt because Terri did not write anything, so their decision had to be based on Hearsay. More of that circumstantial evidence that you love.

Quote:
And what makes you think the courts should just be making up new law when you like the result?
In the common law system the courts make up law all the time. Do they not?

Quote:
This may be a valid question in the abstract. But do you think this is a risk here, when there has been 16 years of litigation and legislation?
Yes - because it is my understanding that the focus was on procedure not on the fact of whether or not she wanted to die. Once that trial court made the call, the debate on that was over.

Quote:
That is an excellent question. And I can't come up with an answer other than he must really think she wouldn't want to be kept "alive."
Or he is not a nice guy.

Quote:
I remove my motion to expel Florida from the Union.
I would hate to have to use a passport to go to South Beach
Old 03-29-2005, 03:34 AM   #1512
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
I am just assuming there was doubt because Terri did not write anything, so their decision had to be based on Hearsay.
A written statement would also have been hearsay, but a form of out-of-court statement offered to prove the truth that we find more reliable.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-29-2005, 09:15 AM   #1513
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
I am just assuming there was doubt because Terri did not write anything, so their decision had to be based on Hearsay.
It's hearsay against hearsay. It always will be if the party in interest is unavailable to testify. If you're going to take the position that hearsay can never suffice, then you're essentially saying that no one can ever have their wish to be taken off of life support honored (and a sizable number can't, even if you allow written hearsay). While Bilmore's point about "sign the paper" is a fair one in principle, it rather buries one's head in the sand for the many instances when no one bothered.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:42 AM   #1514
sgtclub
Serenity Now

More Good News From Iraq

• Iraqi resistance has peaked and is 'turning in on itself', according to recent intelligence reports from Baghdad received by Middle Eastern intelligence agencies.
    The reports are the most optimistic for several months and reflect analysts' sense that recent elections in Iraq marked a 'quantum shift'. They will boost the government in the run-up to the expected general election in May.

Though the reports predict that violence against coalition troops and local forces is likely to continue for the foreseeable future, at least two Middle Eastern intelligence agencies believe that recent 'backchannel' initiatives aimed at persuading Sunni Muslim tribes in western Iraq to cease their resistance are meeting with some success.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story...446356,00.html
Old 03-29-2005, 11:05 AM   #1515
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Ty- now is it a scandal?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E2703,00.html

Nixon-like, Kofi plans to throw his son to the wolves to keep his rent-free Manhatten address.

Annan to save face by saying son misled him
The Times
March 29, 2005
NEW YORK: Kofi Annan, struggling to survive as the UN Secretary-General, plans to blame his son for embroiling him in the oil-for-food scandal when a UN inquiry issues a harsh report today.

UN officials are hoping to deflect criticism of the UN chief by insisting that his son, Kojo, 29, misled him about payments that Kojo Annan received from a UN contractor.

Like in "All the President's Men" we just need to keep following the money, and Annan Sr/ Chirac/ Schroeder are all dead men.