LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 430
0 members and 430 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 08-13-2022, 02:33 PM   #1561
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
Does Dogbert hate Mondays? I know Garfield sure does. But you know what Garfield loves? Lasagna. When I think back on my Garfield-reading days, sometimes I wonder why it is that the fact that Garfield loves lasagna is so funny that the entire plot of some 60-70% of the Garfield cartoons that I read back then is that Garfield loves lasagna. But those were simpler times, when it was universally acknowledged that a lasagna-eating cat was endlessly hilarious, and when it would have been unusual for someone to become so mad about the fact that the FBI took back classified nuclear documents stolen by an ex-president and kept in an unsecure location, that they would try to storm an FBI office alone and then commit suicide-by-cop.

Simpler times ….
Once Trump gets re-elected Scott Adams is getting a Kennedy Center honor!
Old 08-15-2022, 01:51 PM   #1562
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
I had the same thought. But then if they don’t charge, Trump declares himself an innocent victim of DOJ.

Maybe Garland doesn’t care. Perhaps in a politically impossible spot he just figured it’s most important to get the stuff out of Trump’s hands.
My husband was USMC in the early 90s with TS and TS/SCI clearance, and he's pretty outraged about the cavalier attitude about this shit from people who should fucking know better. He says he would have been locked up for taking a single page from a CONFIDENTIAL (lowest level) folder home. Almost 30 years later, he still won't talk about any of the stuff he saw because he takes it that seriously. And they monitored the hell out of people who had the clearance/access. He said he got a talking to because he was late for a car payment. They absolutely do not want anyone to have anything on you, if you have access to that kind of information. Tracks with what Wanda Sykes said about working for the NSA. I imagine a lot of folks who had/have that kind of access are pretty fucking pissed right now.

I'm a HIPAA privacy officer who also handles subpoenas and open records requests. With the reports on how the White House used to handle sensitive information last week, and Alex Jones's lawyer's fuck up the week before, I've broken out in hives. I, too, have sent law enforcement to the homes of former employees to retrieve sensitive information after repeated attempts to get the info less aggressively have failed. I usually just want the info back, but then I don't have authority to do much else if they no longer work for us.

I think anyone who has ever signed an NDA with Trump should be allowed to handle the information on Trumpworld as well as they handled classified US information.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79

Last edited by Replaced_Texan; 08-15-2022 at 01:57 PM..
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:11 AM   #1563
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
You just made Dilbert’s shit-list. I don’t think Phase 2 is going to go well for you.

https://twitter.com/ScottAdamsSays/s...7Ctwgr%5Etweet
What's he going to do? Erase me from the world?

He's fucking nuts. I listened to a podcast years ago in which Sam Harris, who, like him or not, is a purely logic, linear, eminently linear thinker, sought to elicit an admission from Adams that Trump was a compulsive liar.

This is, even if you're a Trump fan, an objective fact like, say... gravity.

Adams drove Harris nuts for the better part of an hour, until Harris gave up. https://lawliberty.org/scott-adams-v...esident-trump/

Adams argued that Trump tells an "emotional truth" and isn't beholden to reality because he's marketing. Adams' view is so convoluted (and I think his psyche organically disordered) I got lost twenty minutes into his commentary and was unable to ascertain wtf he was saying other than to excuse Trump for quite literally every fucked up thing he's ever done.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:27 AM   #1564
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replaced_Texan View Post
My husband was USMC in the early 90s with TS and TS/SCI clearance, and he's pretty outraged about the cavalier attitude about this shit from people who should fucking know better. He says he would have been locked up for taking a single page from a CONFIDENTIAL (lowest level) folder home. Almost 30 years later, he still won't talk about any of the stuff he saw because he takes it that seriously. And they monitored the hell out of people who had the clearance/access. He said he got a talking to because he was late for a car payment. They absolutely do not want anyone to have anything on you, if you have access to that kind of information. Tracks with what Wanda Sykes said about working for the NSA. I imagine a lot of folks who had/have that kind of access are pretty fucking pissed right now.

I'm a HIPAA privacy officer who also handles subpoenas and open records requests. With the reports on how the White House used to handle sensitive information last week, and Alex Jones's lawyer's fuck up the week before, I've broken out in hives. I, too, have sent law enforcement to the homes of former employees to retrieve sensitive information after repeated attempts to get the info less aggressively have failed. I usually just want the info back, but then I don't have authority to do much else if they no longer work for us.

I think anyone who has ever signed an NDA with Trump should be allowed to handle the information on Trumpworld as well as they handled classified US information.
We'll never know why Trump took those records. People like to assume nefarious goals, but it's just as likely incompetence, arrogance (they're mine), and paranoia (they're confidential to me and my team alone), or all four combined.

We've all dealt with people accused of civil fraud who seem to make a habit of it and often succeed in it. They seem to simply ignore rules. I'm not talking about willful ignorance. I'm talking about ignorance as policy - simply not observing rules unless they're thrust upon one.

It's impossible to pin fraud on these people because they honestly don't know wtf they're doing. They just don't care. They seem to follow a policy of "I'll do what I want unless and until stopped from doing so." Sure, they follow the big rules we all know one can't violate (outright, obvious crimes), but they never look at the fine print rules. So any accusation involving intent becomes nearly impossible to prove. (One always winds up settling for a negligent misrepresentation claim instead of fraud when suing them.)

I don't think Trump would know or give a fuck about document handling rules if his life depended on it. That shit's beneath him, work for the eggheads. Except he had no eggheads. He had sycophants. And this allows him a second level of defense - in addition to lack of intent, the argument somebody else was responsible. (He's going to use this one on Giuliani in GA soon, I think.)

He's so sheltered, so clueless, and so unaware of anything beyond the immediate that I believe him when he says he thought he could declassify the docs and walk off with them. In his ADD addled pea brain he probably figured, in Nixonian fashion, when the President says its declassified, it's declassified.

God only knows how many people he showed the allegedly sensitive stuff he held on heads of state. "Vinnie, look, I'm not paying you the $500 for losing that match because I quit on hole 17 to take a phone call. I'm POTUS... I can do that. But come in my office and check out these photos of Macron with the housekeeper. And you really gotta see these crazy nukes Kim Jong Un has been building."
Old 08-16-2022, 12:15 PM   #1565
Icky Thump

Quote:
we'll never know why trump took those records.
that’s what the money is for.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:38 PM   #1566
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
that’s what the money is for.
Do you know anything about this Camp Lajeune stuff?
Old 08-16-2022, 12:39 PM   #1567
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
We'll never know why Trump took those records. People like to assume nefarious goals, but it's just as likely incompetence, arrogance (they're mine), and paranoia (they're confidential to me and my team alone), or all four combined.

We've all dealt with people accused of civil fraud who seem to make a habit of it and often succeed in it. They seem to simply ignore rules. I'm not talking about willful ignorance. I'm talking about ignorance as policy - simply not observing rules unless they're thrust upon one.

It's impossible to pin fraud on these people because they honestly don't know wtf they're doing. They just don't care. They seem to follow a policy of "I'll do what I want unless and until stopped from doing so." Sure, they follow the big rules we all know one can't violate (outright, obvious crimes), but they never look at the fine print rules. So any accusation involving intent becomes nearly impossible to prove. (One always winds up settling for a negligent misrepresentation claim instead of fraud when suing them.)

I don't think Trump would know or give a fuck about document handling rules if his life depended on it. That shit's beneath him, work for the eggheads. Except he had no eggheads. He had sycophants. And this allows him a second level of defense - in addition to lack of intent, the argument somebody else was responsible. (He's going to use this one on Giuliani in GA soon, I think.)

He's so sheltered, so clueless, and so unaware of anything beyond the immediate that I believe him when he says he thought he could declassify the docs and walk off with them. In his ADD addled pea brain he probably figured, in Nixonian fashion, when the President says its declassified, it's declassified.

God only knows how many people he showed the allegedly sensitive stuff he held on heads of state. "Vinnie, look, I'm not paying you the $500 for losing that match because I quit on hole 17 to take a phone call. I'm POTUS... I can do that. But come in my office and check out these photos of Macron with the housekeeper. And you really gotta see these crazy nukes Kim Jong Un has been building."
This tracks with my thinking, especially since I'm pretty sure (based off multiple reports from various vectors with interactions with him over decades) he's borderline illiterate. At the most generous, he's not exactly one who curls up with a good book. Or a dry report. He probably hasn't actually read the vast majority of what was in those boxes. And that makes it almost scarier, because he's either relying on other people or he's just keeping them for keeping them's sake. Probably both.

Rules don't apply to him, and they never have (see, reading speculation above, against academic credentials that suggest otherwise). At least to his way of thinking. His great gift is getting other people to his way of thinking. He absolutely knows what that particular rule is because he gleefully signed the law STRENGTHENING it as some sort of Gotcha over the Clinton emails. He just didn't think they apply to him.

I keep thinking back to my husband's missed car payment and Wanda Sykes' stereo. Trump's credit situation is not exactly known to be great. And the man is not known to be driven by his better angels when it comes to anything that either makes him a buck or gets him out of having to pay.

Even if no charges are brought forward and it is an "oops, sorry, in our rush to get out, we grabbed these too and forgot for six months to give it back even though you asked over and over again," getting that stuff back is absolutely critical.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 08-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #1568
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

He's fucking nuts. I listened to a podcast years ago in which Sam Harris, who, like him or not, is a purely logic, linear, eminently linear thinker, sought to elicit an admission from Adams that Trump was a compulsive liar.

Adams drove Harris nuts for the better part of an hour, until Harris gave up. https://lawliberty.org/scott-adams-v...esident-trump/

Adams argued that Trump tells an "emotional truth" and isn't beholden to reality because he's marketing. Adams' view is so convoluted (and I think his psyche organically disordered) I got lost twenty minutes into his commentary and was unable to ascertain wtf he was saying other than to excuse Trump for quite literally every fucked up thing he's ever done.
This is the best thing I have read in a while to explain why people like Adams act like they act and say what they say.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 01:24 PM   #1569
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

You are totally wrong. Trump is not unaware of the rules. They are for other people, not for him. When he says he declassified the documents, he doesn't mean that he declassified them for other people. He means, he decided he doesn't have to follow the law. That's essential.

Quote:
Rules don't apply to him, and they never have (see, reading speculation above, against academic credentials that suggest otherwise). At least to his way of thinking. His great gift is getting other people to his way of thinking. He absolutely knows what that particular rule is because he gleefully signed the law STRENGTHENING it as some sort of Gotcha over the Clinton emails. He just didn't think they apply to him.
Yes, exactly. Rules are for other people, not for him.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 08-16-2022 at 01:26 PM..
Old 08-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #1570
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
This tracks with my thinking, especially since I'm pretty sure (based off multiple reports from various vectors with interactions with him over decades) he's borderline illiterate. At the most generous, he's not exactly one who curls up with a good book. Or a dry report. He probably hasn't actually read the vast majority of what was in those boxes. And that makes it almost scarier, because he's either relying on other people or he's just keeping them for keeping them's sake. Probably both.

I keep thinking back to my husband's missed car payment and Wanda Sykes' stereo. Trump's credit situation is not exactly known to be great. And the man is not known to be driven by his better angels when it comes to anything that either makes him a buck or gets him out of having to pay.

Even if no charges are brought forward and it is an "oops, sorry, in our rush to get out, we grabbed these too and forgot for six months to give it back even though you asked over and over again," getting that stuff back is absolutely critical.
Regarding his illiteracy, I've been going back and forth with a few people are "absolutely incensed" at the raid. The common theme from the right is, "This is going to backfire in the midterms."

Well... Maybe it would, or maybe it wouldn't.

But we'll never know. Because you know who's ensuring that what might've been a red wave will not be one? Trump. By supporting idiots in the primaries, he ensured that the GOP will lose three, maybe four Senate seats it could have won. The GOP is pulling back on TV buys in Arizona and Pennsylvania right now because those senate races are so over already that CNN could start projecting them today.

And yet these people who support Trump still - still - insist that somehow he is still a positive for the GOP, rather than a Titanic sized anchor.

Trump is illiterate, and illogical. And this is why he connects so well to so many.
Old 08-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #1571
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
You are totally wrong. Trump is not unaware of the rules. They are for other people, not for him. When he says he declassified the documents, he doesn't mean that he declassified them for other people. He means, he decided he doesn't have to follow the law. That's essential.

Yes, exactly. Rules are for other people, not for him.
It's both. He's not aware of them unless they're in his face (the Hillary document issue was a marketing angle for him, so he learned about that). But even when he is aware of them, he's dumb enough to think he can simply ignore them via his own personal declassification.

He's a demented, semi-senile spoiled brat who's never matured past age 16.
Old 08-16-2022, 02:48 PM   #1572
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
It's both. He's not aware of them unless they're in his face (the Hillary document issue was a marketing angle for him, so he learned about that). But even when he is aware of them, he's dumb enough to think he can simply ignore them via his own personal declassification.

He's a demented, semi-senile spoiled brat who's never matured past age 16.
No, you're wrong. It's not that he's dumb enough to think he can ignore them.

To quote a semi-famous comment on Marginal Revolution:

Quote:
Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.
Trump supporters do not need to know anything about the law to decide that the Mar-a-Lago FBI raid offends them, that Trump can declassify documents by thinking about it and nothing more, that a cop (or Kyle Rittenhouse) is justified in using deadly force against a protestor, that Hillary should be locked up. Calling Trump dumb misses a really key part of what's he's about.
Old 08-16-2022, 03:42 PM   #1573
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:

Listening to that podcast seems like a good way to waste several weeks of my life in just an hour.

Quote:
Don’t fuck with unhinged cartoonists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7JyjZI3LUM

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:01 PM   #1574
Icky Thump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Do you know anything about this Camp Lajeune stuff?
I do. 30 cumulative days there between 8/53 and 12/87 (even in utero)
And many cancers, Parkinson’s or many other diseases qualify. Send me a dm here with a contact email (no details) and I’ll respond.

Last edited by Icky Thump; 08-16-2022 at 04:05 PM..
Icky Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 05:47 PM   #1575
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
I do. 30 cumulative days there between 8/53 and 12/87 (even in utero)
And many cancers, Parkinson’s or many other diseases qualify. Send me a dm here with a contact email (no details) and I’ll respond.
I was apparently the fourth person to get in touch with my husband about it. He was stationed there in the early 90s, so he doesn't qualify. Thankfully, he does not have any cancers or other diseases.

He said that while they were there, the water issue was a known thing they used to joke about. The internet algorithms have figured out that he has some sort of connection there. He's been followed by the ads for a few weeks now.