LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Big Board

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 726
1 members and 725 guests
Hank Chinaski
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 03-06-2009, 01:40 AM   #2026
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

so

Anyone have thoughts on job search ideas for a recently laid off large-firm lit staff attorney in Southern California? Class of 2000-2002 era. I have a close friend who was hit in the latest round and I'm trying to be helpful (as opposed to hepful).
Old 03-06-2009, 09:36 AM   #2027
John Phoenix
[witticism TBA]

Re: so

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcasesensitive View Post
Anyone have thoughts on job search ideas for a recently laid off large-firm lit staff attorney in Southern California? Class of 2000-2002 era. I have a close friend who was hit in the latest round and I'm trying to be helpful (as opposed to hepful).
I bet that Howard Rice will be looking for people soon. (Although others who know the field suggest that might be an overstatement.)

Other ideas would be to let the listings come to your friend - have your friend set up RSS feeds for various job sites, and interesting listings will get pushed.

Last edited by John Phoenix; 03-06-2009 at 10:46 AM..
John Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:42 PM   #2028
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Re: so

Quote:
Originally Posted by notcasesensitive View Post
Obama bonanza director and grant herder.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #2029
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Lawyer Disbarred for Switching Vote as a Juror Solely in Order To Return To His Busy

Eugene Volokh (who has a link to the decision I'm too lazy to reproduce):

Quote:
Lawyer Disbarred for Switching Vote as a Juror Solely in Order To Return To His Busy Law Practice: The case is In re Fahy (Cal. Bar Ct.); here's an excerpt from an affidavit signed by the lawyer to support a motion for a new trial:

Quote:
I was convinced from the outset [of the medical malpractice trial] that [the defendant] had violated the standard of care in his care and treatment of the [p]laintiff.... During the trial that was supposed to last only 2-3 weeks, I maintained a busy law practice. As the trial continued into its 4th week, problems at work continued to mount as most of the day was devoted to my being a juror. Deliberations were a nightmare.... It was becoming very apparent that even if the other jurors were to vote in favor of the [p]laintiff on the issue of liability, that lengthy discussion would take place on other issues ...

As a result, I advised my fellow jurors that I would change my vote if Judge Ballati failed to declare a mistrial after he was advised that the jury was deadlocked because there was no way I could afford to spend another week away from the office ...

When I arrived on Monday, I changed my vote to favor [the defendant] even though he was liable for what happened to the [p]laintiff. I changed my vote so that the deliberations would finally come to an end and I could return to the office....
The court's legal conclusion:

Quote:
[T]he harm to the parties and to the fair administration of justice is clear and serious when respondent disregarded his duty to vote as the facts and judge's instructions guided him, and instead voted as the convenience of his law practice swayed. To be sure, jury service for busy citizens of all occupations or with family responsibilities can be difficult, even burdensome, at times. Yet it is the accepted duty of citizens to serve, subject to the statutory provision for excuse for undue hardship. Moreover, the Judicial Council has recognized that jury service is an “important civic responsibility,” requiring court and staff use of all necessary and appropriate means to ensure that citizens fulfill this duty. Surely, respondent, as a practicing attorney at the time, was keenly aware of the role which an effective jury system serves in the fair administration of justice.

Respondent's violation was not a technical one. As the Court of Appeal and the State Bar Court hearing judge each found, respondent's vote was decisive in breaking the jury's deadlock. Patently, his change of vote to avoid continuing to serve as a juror voided the verdict he rendered and required the parties, their counsel and the courts to bear the additional costs, time and burdens of appellate and further trial court proceedings.
Because of this misconduct, because of Fahy's apparently deceitful responses to the court when questioned about this, and because of Fahy's recent disciplinary record, and because of Fahy's lack of acceptance of responsibility, he was disbarred. For more, see this S.F. Recorder article.

Of course, if Fahy had only remained quiet about his true motivation (something he initially revealed to his fellow jurors during deliberation) he would have gotten off scot-free (though that of course does not excuse his behavior).
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #2030
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Maybe ever.

This is the best judicial decision about salad dressing that I have read in a long time.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 03-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #2031
sebastian_dangerfield

Re: Lawyer Disbarred for Switching Vote as a Juror Solely in Order To Return To His B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop View Post
Eugene Volokh (who has a link to the decision I'm too lazy to reproduce):
The Princess Leia jury avoidance bit on 30 Rock needed to be extended. That bit could have run for two minutes. So much material.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:15 PM   #2032
Not Bob

Re: Maybe ever.

Quote:
Holy shit. Posner really tore that AUSA a new one, no?

eta:
Quote:
The government’s appellate lawyer told us that the prosecutor’s superior would give her a talking-to. We are not impressed by the suggestion.
Not Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #2033
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Holy shit. Posner really tore that AUSA a new one, no?

eta:
link doesn't work
Old 03-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #2034
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
link doesn't work
Try this:

08-1839 USA v. Farinella, Charles criminal 03/12/2009 Opinion POSNER

If not, go to homepage and opinions, then find this case in list of this week's opinions.

Anyway, I guess it's a bit easier to give the prosecutor a "talking to" for inflaming the passions of the jury when that's not the sole basis for reversal.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #2035
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
Try this:

08-1839 USA v. Farinella, Charles criminal 03/12/2009 Opinion POSNER

If not, go to homepage and opinions, then find this case in list of this week's opinions.

Anyway, I guess it's a bit easier to give the prosecutor a "talking to" for inflaming the passions of the jury when that's not the sole basis for reversal.
I know criminal law has its own standards, but this decision seems wacky.

He found there was no showing consumers were misled? Seriously? they got the crap for cheap because it was soon not sellable by the manufacturer. then they post date it? What is the purpose of the date?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #2036
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:

He found there was no showing consumers were misled? Seriously? they got the crap for cheap because it was soon not sellable by the manufacturer. then they post date it? What is the purpose of the date?
Judge Posner suggests, at some length, that the dressing would still be OK after that date, and what reasons the manufacturer might have to put those dates on the dressing.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #2037
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Judge Posner suggests, at some length, that the dressing would still be OK after that date, and what reasons the manufacturer might have to put those dates on the dressing.
Putting aside the facts of the case, which are pretty weak on which to base a prosecution, I wonder why a dressing maker would specify a "best if purchased by" date. That suggests somehow it's doing worse sitting on a store shelf. But surely that's not the case. So of what relevance is the purchase date, other than as a quasi-guarantee that up to that date it's in good shape, after maybe not. But if that's what the "best by" date means, it should be a consumption date.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #2038
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Why, because the IP holder didn't win?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:36 PM   #2039
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
Putting aside the facts of the case, which are pretty weak on which to base a prosecution, I wonder why a dressing maker would specify a "best if purchased by" date. That suggests somehow it's doing worse sitting on a store shelf. But surely that's not the case. So of what relevance is the purchase date, other than as a quasi-guarantee that up to that date it's in good shape, after maybe not. But if that's what the "best by" date means, it should be a consumption date.
I had thought that the relatively-recent proliferation of "best by" dates on non-perishable food was a result of state law in one or more states (New Jersey is what I remember) and the desire of the food companies to have consistent packaging nationwide. The example I know of is canned soup--until the last few years, there were no "best by" dates, then suddenly there were; not certain if there are still, as I also recall something about the state law(s) being repealed.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #2040
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
but the public should be able to look at the date and give what weight they care to about it. the guy didn't scrape the date off, he changed it for some reason.

and yes burger the manufacturer should have a very straightforward claim. you don't think removing the reason these bottles might be at the Dollar Store won't hurt sales of the higher priced stuff at the local Pig's?