LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 338
0 members and 338 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 02:27 PM   #2236
sgtclub
Serenity Now

Berger

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Noel Hillman, who assured us that Mr. Berger did not deny any documents to history. "There is no evidence that he intended to destroy originals," said Mr. Hillman. "There is no evidence that he did destroy originals. We have objectively and affirmatively confirmed that the contents of all the five documents at issue exist today and were made available to the 9/11 Commission."
Maybe I've been practicing too long, but what this suggests to me is that (a) he did destroy copies and (b) although the contents of the originals were made available to the committee, the any written notes on the copes that were destroyed were not.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #2237
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Berger

Quote:
Originally posted by sgtclub
Maybe I've been practicing too long, but what this suggests to me is that (a) he did destroy copies and (b) although the contents of the originals were made available to the committee, the any written notes on the copes that were destroyed were not.
I think you've been practicing too long. I think Hillman -- who, remember, has been prosecuting Berger -- is trying to say that nothing was lost.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-08-2005, 03:09 PM   #2238
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

Berger

Quote:
You have not practiced much before the Justice Department, apparently. It is my experience that they would take that sort of thing very seriously.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #2239
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

opportunity costs

Quote:
it seems reasonable to hope that a reasonably democratic, and only moderately Islamist government will eventually emerge.

Assuming this happens, was the invasion worth it? In my view, No.
How can you post the shit you do? Do you understand the concept of a bullshit filter at all?

Quote:
An invasion to change a government can be justified, if at all, only when it is assured of quick and fairly bloodless success, and of a rapid handover of power to a reasonably democratic alternative.
By this logic we shouldn't have started the United States.

Quote:
From the viewpoint of the world as a whole, the issue is much clearer. The $200 billion spent on the war could have saved millions of lives if even half of it had been allocated to health care in poor countries. Even if the money were spent in the US, it could have saved tens of thousands of lives (the usual estimate is that marginal health interventions cost about $5 million per life saved).

A fraction of the military resources used in the war could have supported a more robust international intervention in Darfur (not an invasion, but peacekeeping with vigorous rules of engagemetn), again with a huge saving in lives. Or there are a bunch of other dictators who could have been pushed aside with less cost in lives, some of whom are allies of the US. Cheerleaders for the war are hailing the possibility of partially free elections in Saudi Arabia and Egypt as a consequence of the war. But particularly in the case of Egypt, the US could have ensured free elections any time it chose by telling Mubarak that his aid would be cut off unless he held them (ideally with a carrot of more aid if he did hold them).
And we'll call the land Shangra-la!

Quote:
As far as weapons of mass destruction are concerned, the real problems in Korea, Iran, Pakistan and the former Soviet bloc have got steadily worse while we spent years chasing shadows.
True, but the Dems have been voted out now, so we're on the case. Hey. How come he didn't include Libya?
Old 04-08-2005, 03:47 PM   #2240
sgtclub
Serenity Now

Berger

Quote:
I think you've been practicing too long. I think Hillman -- who, remember, has been prosecuting Berger -- is trying to say that nothing was lost.
I never doubted anything was lost. I just thought he was trying to cover for potentially embarrassing handwritten comments.

The DOJ language is very precise. As someone who has a lot of experience drafting public disclosure, I think DOJ's statement is painstakenly clear.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #2241
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Berger

Quote:
I never doubted anything was lost. I just thought he was trying to cover for potentially embarrassing handwritten comments.

The DOJ language is very precise. As someone who has a lot of experience drafting public disclosure, I think DOJ's statement is painstakenly clear.
Did you realize that you were reading the Wall Street Journal's account of a conversation with Hillman? And Hillman said "the contents of all the five documents at issue exist." The word "contents" presumably refer to the marginalia and notes.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-08-2005, 04:29 PM   #2242
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

opportunity costs

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
How can you post the shit you do? Do you understand the concept of a bullshit filter at all?
Someone comparing the sort of things John Quiggan posts on the internet with your own efforts would have to laugh at this.

Quote:
By this logic we shouldn't have started the United States.
He's talking about invading another country, not starting a revolution.

Quote:
And we'll call the land Shangra-la!
That's in the Himalayas, not the Middle East. Pay attention.

Quote:
True, but the Dems have been voted out now, so we're on the case.
Four+ years on the case, and you're just getting started. Fabulous. Maybe paying attention to the countries with actual WMD a little earlier would have been a better idea.

Last edited by Tyrone Slothrop; 04-08-2005 at 04:36 PM..
Old 04-08-2005, 04:39 PM   #2243
Alex_de_Large
halfsharkalligatorhalfmod

Berger

Quote:
Did you realize that you were reading the Wall Street Journal's account of a conversation with Hillman? And Hillman said "the contents of all the five documents at issue exist." The word "contents" presumably refer to the marginalia and notes.
BTW, love the sig, Ty.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:40 PM   #2244
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Replaced Texan

Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
What is the Republican and Democrat registration in that district? Can a Democrat even win there? Is the only real hope taking him out in the primary by another Republican?
Dunno about registration. Hell, I'm not even registered. But the district went about 64% Bush, 55% DeLay in 2004. His district doesn't like him very much. Democrat can win if enough people are disgusted with DeLay. I can't imagine a credible R running against him.

I personally don't think that Morrison is that liberal, but he did get all sorts of endorsements from people like Howard Dean and the Daily Kos and places like that. The DCCC liked him a lot too.

What's good is that there is going to be a major split in the Texas Republican party next year. If Kay Bailey comes back (and it looks like she is more and more every day) to run against Perry in the primary, it's gonna be a bloodbath. With Carol Keaton McClellen Strayhorn Rylander (we call her Grandma) in the wings ready to pounce, lord knows what's going to happen. The good news for the Ds is that simply being a Republican isn't gonna be good enough. And if KBH wins the primary, DeLay will not ride her coattails, because they can't stand each other.

Plus, we have Kinky Freedman as an announced candidate, and Chris Bell's "exploration" has probably hit magma by now. Rumor is he hired Joe Trippi yesterday.

Ya'll should come down to Texas to watch next year. It's going to be damned entertaining.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Old 04-08-2005, 04:45 PM   #2245
Hank Chinaski

opportunity costs

Quote:
Someone comparing the sort of things John Quiggan posts on the internet with your own efforts would have to laugh at this.
Idon't make an effort.

Quote:
He's talking about invading another country, not starting a revolution.
This was Cherokee nation, Cherokee tribe! we invaded.

Quote:
That's in the Himalayas, not the Middle East. Pay attention.
But he's right- if we just quit spending on military all would be well! we'd stop death and disease! He is so very smart- it's the kind of thing he posts on the internet.

Quote:
Four+ years on the case, and you're just getting started. Fabulous. Maybe paying attention to the countries with actual WMD a little earlier would have been a better idea.
For sone of them we had to wait for them to fully develop the technology Clinton/Carter gave them. We'll sort it out. Go read some blogs and have a drink. the country is in good hands.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:06 PM   #2246
Spanky
For what it's worth

opportunity costs

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop postid=157913#post157913]Pay attention.[/url]

And what exactly could a Democrat administration done differently about North Korea etc?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:09 PM   #2247
Hank Chinaski

opportunity costs

Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
And what exactly could a Democrat administration done differently about North Korea etc?
Duh! it didn't object so it wasn't a problem. like Afghanistan wasn't a problem, or Al queda wasn't a problem.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:15 PM   #2248
Spanky
For what it's worth

Replaced Texan

Quote:
Originally posted by Replaced_Texan
Dunno about registration. Hell, I'm not even registered. But the district went about 64% Bush, 55% DeLay in 2004. His district doesn't like him very much. Democrat can win if enough people are disgusted with DeLay. I can't imagine a credible R running against him.

I personally don't think that Morrison is that liberal, but he did get all sorts of endorsements from people like Howard Dean and the Daily Kos and places like that. The DCCC liked him a lot too.

What's good is that there is going to be a major split in the Texas Republican party next year. If Kay Bailey comes back (and it looks like she is more and more every day) to run against Perry in the primary, it's gonna be a bloodbath. With Carol Keaton McClellen Strayhorn Rylander (we call her Grandma) in the wings ready to pounce, lord knows what's going to happen. The good news for the Ds is that simply being a Republican isn't gonna be good enough. And if KBH wins the primary, DeLay will not ride her coattails, because they can't stand each other.

Plus, we have Kinky Freedman as an announced candidate, and Chris Bell's "exploration" has probably hit magma by now. Rumor is he hired Joe Trippi yesterday.

Ya'll should come down to Texas to watch next year. It's going to be damned entertaining.
The registration is the key. Here in California the districts are so Gerrymandered that they are either safe Republican seats or safe Democrat seats. The General election is always a joke. The only way to get rid of incumbants is with a primary. Congressman Doolittle, who I think is number five in the Republican leadership, has his district right near the Bay Area in Lake Tahoe. He is Delay's right hand man. He has also been implicated in the scandals. He is a strong social conservative who constantly questions the whole idea of a separation of church and state. We tried to take him out four years ago but the establishment really came down hard on us. Cheney, Delay, Hastert etc. all came out and had fundraisers for him. But we are going to try again considering all the scandal and I think we have a good shot at it. I have heard talk of Republicans planning on doing the same thing to Delay in Texas. I have already received second hand threats from Delay's people so I know they are nervous.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:15 PM   #2249
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

opportunity costs

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
I don't make an effort.
That was my point, but thank you for reminding us.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:19 PM   #2250
sgtclub
Serenity Now

Berger

Quote:
Yes - ever heard of an earnings call. Those are scripted you know.

You think contents includes notes, huh? You may be right, but I think its cloudy and when coupled with the stress on "originals" makes me wonder.
Closed Thread