LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 328
0 members and 328 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:29 PM   #2281
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

Replaced Texan

Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
Their response would be what they always say about me. That I am a heathen and a heretical RINO that is out to undermine family values. And of course completely ignore the point that they are the Democrat's best friends.
I don't say that about you, but I might not be one of them if you only define it as people who say this about you.

I have beliefs that are often consistent with theirs.

Pro-Life, anti-death penalty (as a general matter, and absolutely for juvenilles and the mentally handicapped), almost entirely opposed to social programs except those that truly help the blameless and helpless (children, handicapped).

But for every Democrat they help on a national level, they manage to motivate me and a lot, lot of people like me on a few core issues.

For Bush, I have to overlook Rummy, spending (ALL KINDS OF SPENDING), occasional allies like DeLay, stupid civil-union bans (fairness issue, not moral issue), etc.

End of the day, there are only a few things that really matter to me.

Abortion. Ending public housing (anyone catch the article in today's NYT-New York Area section re: huge cuts proposed again in housing assistance for midwest and northeastern cities?). Keeping a truly independent U.S. Attorney in place in the N.D. of Illinois. Ending the asbestos scam (anyone catch today's WSJ article/column saying trial lawyers will end up owning 70 of America's largest companies and will use them to fund the Democratic party forever?).

And I'll eliminate any 3 of those issues (I'll even let you, LDE or RT choose which ones to eliminate) if we can just convince someone, anyone, to run on a platform of raising the gas tax nationally by $5.00 and drastically increasing infrastructure spending for mass transit.

Anyhoo, I'm just saying. Some Ds might get motivated to vote when they see some of the more extreme members of the Social conservatives. But some people with social conservative tendencies wouldn't otherwise have too much to use to tell Bush and a lot of Ds apart if it weren't for the social conservative stuff.

And the Senate count sorta tells me that the Rs are on the right path, though my conscience tells me we still have a lotta stuff to sort out... like the death penalty record.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:59 PM   #2282
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

opportunity costs

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
I don't parent halfway- I'd eat one to find out.
I thought it was your wife who ate children.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:07 PM   #2283
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

opportunity costs

Quote:
Dick-head
The helium ballon reference was to the vans. And if you find out your son's ZZs are for wrapping candy- congrats- answer is you still have to call bullshit on him for having them.
I was talking about aluminum tubes, not vans, Hank. If you think your kid is doing drugs, you don't bust him for having a keychain.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #2284
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

opportunity costs

Quote:
Originally posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I was talking about aluminum tubes, not vans, Hank. If you think your kid is doing drugs, you don't bust him for having a keychain.
you sound like Atticus or John Kerry or something-

I actually parent teens, the Bushes have actually cleaned up terrorist states- you can't give advice to either of us.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:52 PM   #2285
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

opportunity costs

Quote:

I actually parent teens, the Bushes have actually cleaned up terrorist states- you can't give advice to either of us.
Afghanistan I give you, if you're referring to the Kabul metropolitan area. Please remember, though, that there were no links between Al Qaeda and Iraq. No wonder your kids feel like they can't talk to you.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Old 04-08-2005, 10:55 PM   #2286
ltl/fb

opportunity costs

Quote:

Congrats, you have made the ignore list. I can't promise not to click in times of boredom, but I thought you would want to know that your sheer idiocy and nonresponsiveness and willful assholosity finally pushed you over the line.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:07 PM   #2287
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

opportunity costs

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Congrats, you have made the ignore list. I can't promise not to click in times of boredom, but I thought you would want to know that your sheer idiocy and nonresponsiveness and willful assholosity finally pushed you over the line.
Though I mostly agree that fringey is mainly correct about this, I still love you, Hank.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:20 PM   #2288
Hank Chinaski

opportunity costs

Quote:
Originally posted by Shape Shifter
Though I mostly agree that fringey is mainly correct about this, I still love you, Hank.

I just sent fringey a pm suggesting she edit- now that you've quoted it you'll have to work with her to edit or else. i won't put her on ignore- I'll put her on the ggg/nfh list- guardez fringe.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:59 PM   #2289
Not Bob

the answer is blowin in the wind

Quote:

You don't need to be a weatherman to tell which way the wind blows.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:41 AM   #2290
Spanky
For what it's worth

Replaced Texan

Quote:
Originally posted by Say_hello_for_me
I don't say that about you, but I might not be one of them if you only define it as people who say this about you.

I have beliefs that are often consistent with theirs.

Pro-Life, anti-death penalty (as a general matter, and absolutely for juvenilles and the mentally handicapped), almost entirely opposed to social programs except those that truly help the blameless and helpless (children, handicapped).

But for every Democrat they help on a national level, they manage to motivate me and a lot, lot of people like me on a few core issues.

For Bush, I have to overlook Rummy, spending (ALL KINDS OF SPENDING), occasional allies like DeLay, stupid civil-union bans (fairness issue, not moral issue), etc.

End of the day, there are only a few things that really matter to me.

Abortion. Ending public housing (anyone catch the article in today's NYT-New York Area section re: huge cuts proposed again in housing assistance for midwest and northeastern cities?). Keeping a truly independent U.S. Attorney in place in the N.D. of Illinois. Ending the asbestos scam (anyone catch today's WSJ article/column saying trial lawyers will end up owning 70 of America's largest companies and will use them to fund the Democratic party forever?).

And I'll eliminate any 3 of those issues (I'll even let you, LDE or RT choose which ones to eliminate) if we can just convince someone, anyone, to run on a platform of raising the gas tax nationally by $5.00 and drastically increasing infrastructure spending for mass transit.

Anyhoo, I'm just saying. Some Ds might get motivated to vote when they see some of the more extreme members of the Social conservatives. But some people with social conservative tendencies wouldn't otherwise have too much to use to tell Bush and a lot of Ds apart if it weren't for the social conservative stuff.

And the Senate count sorta tells me that the Rs are on the right path, though my conscience tells me we still have a lotta stuff to sort out... like the death penalty record.
I think that there are three issues that really hurt the Republicans:

1) Abortion: Most americans are not for making abortion illegal in the first trimester. This is a tough issue because the Democrats at least in California beat us over the head with it. Most Americans agree that Abortion is a bad thing, and would like like to see abortions decreased but making it illegal is not the practical course. The tough question is: If you make abortions illegal, how many years in prison do you give a woman who has had an abortion? I have never heard an effective political answer to that question in a political debate. As long as we don't push for making Abortion legal in the first trimester we are fine, once you cross that line there go the votes.

2) Guns: Assault weapons. If it is reasonable to make mahine guns legal why not assault weapons? What about armour piercingi bullets? The majority of Americans do not see the need to keep assault weapons nor armour piercing bullets legal.

2) Contraception: With 67% of teenagers sexually active, supressing contracpetion education just seems ridiculous. The majority seems to agree with that.

3) Televangalism: Every time you mix money, crass advertising and merchandizing with religion it makes a lot of people uncormfortable. Having these guys all support the GOP is harmful to the GOP image

As far as the Death Penalty is concerned that is one issue that does not hurt Republicans. You may be against it but that issue has been used by Republican in California to defeat Democrats. The Dems have simply stopped running ant-death penalty candidates statewide because it causes them so many problems.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:47 AM   #2291
ltl/fb

Replaced Texan

Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
I think that there are three issues that really hurt the Republicans:

1) Abortion: Most americans are not for making abortion illegal in the first trimester. This is a tough issue because the Democrats at least in California beat us over the head with it. Most Americans agree that Abortion is a bad thing, and would like like to see abortions decreased but making it illegal is not the practical course. The tough question is: If you make abortions illegal, how many years in prison do you give a woman who has had an abortion? I have never heard an effective political answer to that question in a political debate. As long as we don't push for making Abortion legal in the first trimester we are fine, once you cross that line there go the votes.

2) Guns: Assault weapons. If it is reasonable to make mahine guns legal why not assault weapons? What about armour piercingi bullets? The majority of Americans do not see the need to keep assault weapons nor armour piercing bullets legal.

2) Contraception: With 67% of teenagers sexually active, supressing contracpetion education just seems ridiculous. The majority seems to agree with that.

3) Televangalism: Every time you mix money, crass advertising and merchandizing with religion it makes a lot of people uncormfortable. Having these guys all support the GOP is harmful to the GOP image

As far as the Death Penalty is concerned that is one issue that does not hurt Republicans. You may be against it but that issue has been used by Republican in California to defeat Democrats. The Dems have simply stopped running ant-death penalty candidates statewide because it causes them so many problems.
Uh, 1 2 2 3? god.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:01 AM   #2292
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Replaced Texan

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Uh, 1 2 2 3? god.
I thought David Brooks was full of shit last weekend when he said that conservatives spent more time on their philisophical roots than the Democrats, but this post has me reconsidering.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #2293
Hank Chinaski

TaxWonk cleared

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,152934,00.html

Turns out TW was just free-speeching. And to think we lost Penske over this......
  • Man's Conviction for Threatening Bush Nixed
    Saturday, April 09, 2005

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal appeals court Friday overturned an inmate's conviction for writing a crude, rambling letter endorsing President Bush's death at the hands of terrorists — two weeks after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

The letter from Oregon State Penitentiary prisoner Jonathan Lincoln, who was charged with threatening the president and given an 18-month sentence last year, read, in part: "You will die too George W Bush real Soon they Promised That you would Long Live Bin Laden."

Corrections officials intercepted the letter; Lincoln had been serving a 46-month sentence for robbery.

A unanimous three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the letter was protected under the First Amendment, calling it "Lincoln's crude and offensive method of stating a political opposition to the president." The court noted "such political hyperbole does not constitute a 'threat."'

*I just mean a wish for death, as I recall, TW's post was not rambling or crude.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 04-09-2005 at 02:22 PM..
Old 04-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #2294
Hank Chinaski

dose of bias for the weekend

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N05552850.htm

From reuters- al Jazeera-lite:
  • Cameraman for CBS wounded by U.S. troops in Iraq

NEW YORK, April 5 (Reuters) - An Iraqi freelance cameraman who works for CBS News was shot and wounded on Tuesday in northern Iraq by U.S. troops who mistook his camera for a weapon, the U.S. military and CBS News said.

Oh no! how could we be shooting Cameramen? that's not behaving like we'd want the US to behave, is it Ty?

But wait-

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ter_detained_1
  • U.S. Military: Cameraman Detained in Iraq

BAGHDAD, Iraq - A cameraman carrying CBS press credentials was detained in Iraq earlier this week on suspicion of insurgent activity, the U.S. military said Friday.

The cameraman suffered minor injuries Tuesday during a battle between U.S. soldiers and suspected insurgents, the military said. He was standing next to an alleged insurgent who was killed during the shootout, the statement said.

Oh- standing next to insurgants can get you shot, that's a little more understandable.
  • on Friday, the military said the cameraman was detained because there was probable cause to believe he posed "an imperative threat to coalition forces."

"He is currently detained and will be processed as any other security detainee," the statement said.

CBS News spokeswoman Leigh Farris said, "We're looking into the situation."

A spokesman for Task Force Freedom, Capt. Mark Walter, said the reporter suffered minor wounds and was with "a number of people" involved in the shootout.

Walter said the reporter was detained immediately after the incident, in part because of statements from witnesses to the battle.

Officials are investigating the man's previous activities as well as "his alleged support of anti-Iraqi insurgency activities," the statement said.

lgf asks the question: when he was an innoccent he "worked for CBS", and not that he might not be, he's just carrying credentials?

Doesn't Reuter's proof its stories? This seems somehow inconsistant.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 04-09-2005 at 10:21 AM..
Old 04-09-2005, 10:58 AM   #2295
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

dose of bias for the weekend

Quote:
http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N05552850.htm
Just to add in a bit more, according to one story in the major media this morning, his camera had footage of 4 roadside bombings that all indicated he was prewarned and prepositioned for each such that he could set up in a suitable location to take the video from before the time the bombings were taped.

Closed Thread