LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Mom & Dad, Esq.

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 714
0 members and 714 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 01-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #2851
bold_n_brazen
It's all about me.

Location: Enough about me. Let's talk about you. What do you think of me?
Mobiles

Quote:
Originally posted by baltassoc
Jogging stroller, maybe.

But how is that umbrella stroller really 10x better than the $20 one?

Especially if you tend to do things like leave strollers in the trunks of rental cars/cabs.

Genuinely curious. I always found my nephew's stroller a complete pain in the ass to fold, carry and push. But perhaps that's because I wasn't used to it.
I think the Martinelli umbrella stroller was only about 100 bucks. And it's orange. Or rather Marigold.

I can fold it and unfold it with the Braznette on my hip. I can push it with one hand.

Oh, and did I mention that it is orange?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 PM   #2852
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Mobiles

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
I'm glad you post on this board.
next to me, fringey might be the most insightful m&d poster. I was voted most helpful, but we never heard who was second. Fringey is more helpful than say, Atticus or Ty. RP is probably 3rd which is impressive for a newber.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 01-05-2006 at 06:46 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 06:43 PM   #2853
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Mobiles

Quote:
Originally posted by bold_n_brazen

Does it suck to go to a college whose main color is appropriate one day a year?

Better than burnt orange I suppose.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #2854
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

Mobiles

Quote:
Originally posted by bold_n_brazen
I think the Martinelli umbrella stroller was only about 100 bucks. And it's orange. Or rather Marigold.

I can fold it and unfold it with the Braznette on my hip. I can push it with one hand.

Hmmm. I've never seen a $100 Peg Perego. I thought you meant something like this:

http://www.barebabies.com/pegpeplp3mts9.html
Old 01-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #2855
Hank Chinaski

Allergies

Quote:
Once I was in a bar in Georgia where they served peanuts in the shell, and everybody threw the shells on the floor. It was expected. Kind of a rustic, down home thing. Is that what malls in Detroit are like?
so you were able to walk out of the bar and didn't get your ass kicked? No, that's not how someone like you would find most places up here.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #2856
Gattigap
Southern charmer

Allergies

Quote:
Once I was in a bar in Georgia where they served peanuts in the shell, and everybody threw the shells on the floor. It was expected. Kind of a rustic, down home thing.
I vaguely remember some chain Texas-style restaurant who lovingly took up this affectation. Texas Roadhouse, or something. Is this what we have to look forward to in the Era of Vince?

Last edited by Gattigap; 01-05-2006 at 07:10 PM..
Gattigap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #2857
Captain
Sir!

Allergies

Quote:
Originally posted by viet_mom
Hello Mums and Dads. I got an email from someone who also adopted from Viet Nam and her daughter, now 4, has severe allergies to many different foods, the worst being nuts and eggs. I have no idea what the law is in this area, so thought I'd see if anyone does here.

They live in Michigan. The 4 year old went to preschool at a private school. Before enrolling, parents explained the allergies and that it would not be enough to have a separate table for peanut butter eaters because daughter can't even inhale/smell the stuff. Parents asked if it would be okay if, in the small class, nuts and egg products were prohibite. School said write to parents of classmates to see if it is okay with them. Parents did, nobody objected and parents enrolled daughter in class, along with written instructions about the allergies. During time she was at school, parents constantly had to take her to the allergist and deal with asthma bouts. Then they found out that school was ignoring instructions and kid were eating egg and nut products and daughter was simply put at a nearby table. Apparently, just touching a kid who has leftover peanut butter on them is dangerous.

Parents are outraged and don't want to sue, but are thinking about asking for a refund of the tuition they paid during this time. Seems to me it would be more reasonable to ask the school to share the costs of medical bills. Anyhow, parents are wondering what their legal rights are in terms of public schools, whether the allergy is a "disability" and what they can do about having their daughter safely attend school with other kids.

Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
I suspect the parents have a case of some sort, but agree that damages are more likely to be measured by costs incurred (medical and other) as well as any other damage or suffering caused to them or their daughter.

For public schools, some attention to state statutes will be needed. There are often specific rights for children with disabilities, and this sound like a disability, but it usually takes some pressing to get your rights recognized and usually the rights have to be invoked through a process. There are special "advocates" who often help familys, who may not even be lawyers but may be adept at marshalling all the reports and the like needed to make the school system pay attention.
Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:05 PM   #2858
robustpuppy

Mobiles

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Is that sarcastic?
No.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 07:10 PM   #2859
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

Mobiles

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
No.
Is that sarcastic?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #2860
Hank Chinaski

Allergies

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
I suspect the parents have a case of some sort, but agree that damages are more likely to be measured by costs incurred (medical and other) as well as any other damage or suffering caused to them or their daughter.

For public schools, some attention to state statutes will be needed. There are often specific rights for children with disabilities, and this sound like a disability, but it usually takes some pressing to get your rights recognized and usually the rights have to be invoked through a process. There are special "advocates" who often help familys, who may not even be lawyers but may be adept at marshalling all the reports and the like needed to make the school system pay attention.
I know of 2 restaurants that serve PB & J as old-style comfort food for PBR drinkers like the C-man. How is that acceptable?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:21 PM   #2861
Captain
Sir!

Allergies

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
I know of 2 restaurants that serve PB & J as old-style comfort food for PBR drinkers like the C-man. How is that acceptable?
My apologies for attempting to be helpful. I believe you can find a few ways to distinguish the restaurant and either the public or private school. Let me know if you need hints.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #2862
Hank Chinaski

Allergies

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain
My apologies for attempting to be helpful. I believe you can find a few ways to distinguish the restaurant and either the public or private school. Let me know if you need hints.
dim-fuck. take your conlaw drivel to the PB. I'm just trying to point out the kid won't be able to go into public at all, so why not just start to get her used to it by home-schooling. I mean because there's some allergy kid in my kid's school I can never send them with PB&J sandwiches? Huh?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #2863
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

Allergies

Quote:
dim-fuck. take your conlaw drivel to the PB. I'm just trying to point out the kid won't be able to go into public at all, so why not just start to get her used to it by home-schooling. I mean because there's some allergy kid in my kid's school I can never send them with PB&J sandwiches? Huh?
You know, low level allergies can cause irritability. Did you have a peanut butter sandwich for lunch today?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #2864
Captain
Sir!

Allergies

Quote:
My kids' public school bans peanut butter, as do many others. I suspect many others will tell you their schools do as well.

Where have you been? Huh?
Old 01-05-2006, 07:48 PM   #2865
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Baby stuff

Infant seats: for both kids we've started out with an infant seat, then switched to a convertible when they outgrow it. For Thor, that will be this weekend, at age 5 months. If you have small babies, you can use it longer, but only until they reach the upper weight limit for the seat (20 or 22 lbs, depending on the model), or their head reaches an inch from the upper edge (which may or may not correspond with when they reach the recommended height limit for the seat). I did a lot of research before buying Thor's bucket, and ended up with a nice Graco Snugride, one of the spendier ones with the Gracopedic foam. I've been quite happy with it, and I'm sure my sisters will be as well.

Hard-core baby wearers decry ever taking the baby anywhere in the bucket, but for brief errands that may take place during naptime, it is unwieldy but convenient. I will miss that when we switch Thor to the Roundabout this weekend. On the flip side, he'll be easier to carry in my arms than in the bucket.

Convertible seats: I'm a big fan of the Britax seats. We have a Roundabout that Magnus used, and the 40 lb weight limit got us to about age 4 (he's on the tall side but rather skinny). If I were buying a new convertible now, I'd probably go with one of the higher weight limit seats like the Marathon or Decathlon. Magnus is now riding in a Britax Husky (which was just renamed the Regent), which will keep him in a five-point harness until at least age 8. The thing we've found with the Britax carseats is that you really get what you pay for. We also have an Eddie Bauer High-Back booster that we use for traveling and riding in other people's cars, and it's just inferior in every way.

One note for hand-me-down carseats: pay attention to the original date of manufacture. Carseats should generally not be used longer than six years from date of manufacture, and should be outright destroyed when they reach the age of 10. I'm pretty sure this is because the plastic degrades over time.

High chairs: definitely wait to purchase until you can try them out with the kid. We eliminated a couple of the ones we were considering that way. We will be using Magnus's Prima Pappa for Thor, but if I were in the market I might get something like the Stokke Kinderseat.

Strollers: I like the Zoopers. Again, I'll be using Magnus's Buddy for Thor, but if I were in the market I'd probably opt for one of the models that replaced it, which have a swiveling front wheel.

Baby clothes: One word for getting rid of the surplus (assuming you don't have family to hand down to--my sisters are completely set, especially if they have boys): resale. If you don't already know the good resale shop in your area, you should find it. I've found a number of really cute outfits nwt, and have also had really good luck with things like Sunday shoes, which frequently get outgrown before they get outworn. They're also good for equipment and toys.

Miscellaneous equipment: If you've got the space, you should plan on getting a bunch of different options (but not necessarily new--hand-me-down and resale are great, especially since you don't know what will work best for your kid). We have a swing in the dining room (Thor doesn't like it as much as Magnus did), a SuperSaucer in the breakfast room (this is a big hit with both kids--Magnus used it from 4-9 months and we expect about the same for Thor), a bouncy seat in the master suite (he's less into this as he's becoming more mobile), and a floor mat/play gym in the attic family room (the Tiny Love b/w one).

Whew. I need another bonbon.

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote