LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Mom & Dad, Esq.

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 476
0 members and 476 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-08-2003, 03:05 PM   #16
lawyer_princess
(Moderator) Supermom

Morning Sickness

Quote:
Originally posted by TexLex
Anyone have any remedies for morning sickness? - actually All-Day-Sickness. Crackers are disgusting - the only thing that tastes OK is Nature Valley Peanut Butter granola bars which have been my saving grace.

-TL and the parasite
Nothing worked for me except Zofran twice a day. If you get dehydrated, B12 shots and IV fluids.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:42 PM   #17
TexLex

Morning Sickness

Quote:
Originally posted by lawyer_princess Nothing worked for me except Zofran twice a day. If you get dehydrated, B12 shots and IV fluids.
Not that bad yet, but there's still time - it's still early yet. The unrelenting fatigue is just as bad - I almost didn't make it in today and I got 10hrs sleep!

I think I may try one of those seasick bands and see if it helps. Drinking isn't a problem - I can down water and milk with no ill effects. (OJ is a whole different story...).

-T(It's all worth it)L and the parasite
Old 04-08-2003, 04:17 PM   #18
dtb
I am beyond a rank!

Morning Sickness

Quote:
Anyone have any remedies for morning sickness?

-TL and the parasite
My sympathies. Even Zofran didn't work for me. Luckily, the sickness went away around 16 weeks. People who haven't had it just cannot comprehend how miserable it is to feel sick 24 hours a day. It's just unrelentingly awful.

The only good thing, is that nausea is a sign of a healthy pregnancy.

Some people swear by candied ginger or even pickled ginger. But really, there's almost nothing you can do (unless you're seriously losing fluids, nutrients, etc. because you're vomiting all the time, then you need hospital treatment.)
dtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 04:40 PM   #19
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Morning sickness

Ginger helped me some--I kept ginger snaps (Archway!) to snack on, and took ginger capsules. Crystallized ginger is also a great idea (though when I was pregnant I hadn't yet discovered it in the bulk section at the supermarket).

Most important thing is to stay hydrated (I was never without my 32oz ice water) and make sure you eat enough protein. Maybe fruit smoothies with a protein booster? I know I craved fruit smoothies in my first trimester--sipping through a straw was easier than chewing and swallowing for sure.

Good luck!

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 04:56 PM   #20
Threads

Morning Sickness

A weird thing about the nausea for me was that it was closely related to air quality. The first trimester, my only real break from nausea was a camping trip in the high country - that clear air worked wonders.

Conversely, a visit to the cologne-wearing attorney in the next office was enough to set off a severe attack of nausea.

So - a week in Banff - for medical purposes, of course?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:12 PM   #21
On Remand

Finding Pre-K in NYC

Can anyone recommend resources (books, websites, etc.) designed to assist parents find nursery and kindergarten schools in NYC? I've only heard the legendary tales of the pain and misery that is finding the right schooling a child in NYC.

Extra credit: especially interested in schools and organizations that would be supportive of a child with hearing loss. Lil' Remand was born without hearing in one ear. While that shouldn't impede speach and language development, it requires some sensitivity on the part of those working with him.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:29 PM   #22
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Morning Sickness

Quote:
Originally posted by Threads
A weird thing about the nausea for me was that it was closely related to air quality. The first trimester, my only real break from nausea was a camping trip in the high country - that clear air worked wonders.
That's an interesting bit of evidence favoring the (yet unproven) hypothesis that morning sickness is connected with a heightened sense of smell that the body uses to deter the mother from ingesting spoiled foods that would be harmless to the adult body but dangerous for the fetus.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 10:57 PM   #23
viet_mom

Red face Morning Sickness

Quote:
Anyone have any remedies for morning sickness?
Adoption worked for me. (:

Seriously, be careful b/c my sister had HORRENDOUS mornning sickness but it turned out during her pregnancy that she had an intolerance to wheat (gluten). Which is what she was eating to ward off the sickness and kept getting worse.

I would talk to the doctor and beg for any remedy that might work. Good luck, you poor thing. I've seen the debilitating effects of morning sickness that can really reak havoc emotionally. Do you have other children? If not, try to sleep ALOT!!
viet_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 11:05 AM   #24
dtb
I am beyond a rank!

Finding Pre-K in NYC

Quote:
Originally posted by On Remand
Can anyone recommend resources (books, websites, etc.) designed to assist parents find nursery and kindergarten schools in NYC? I've only heard the legendary tales of the pain and misery that is finding the right schooling a child in NYC.
There is a book (which I used to have in my office, but can't seem to find now...), that lists all the nursery schools in Manhattan. The horror stories you have heard are, unfortunately, true.

I would get the book (it's called something like "Guide to Nursery Schools in Manhattan" or some such utilitarian title) and is in the New York section of your local Barnes & Noble. The schools are separated by area (Upper East, Upper West, Uptown - above 110th Street -- and Downtown) and has a description of the schools.

Go through the book, pick the ones you like, and then try to find an "in" at the school. Not that you can't get in without one, but your chances greatly improve.

It is a horror story getting a child into nursery school (unless you have a spare $1M to donate...or maybe the CEO of your company can do it...). I'm hoping that kindergarten won't be nearly as painful, but I'm not holding my breath.
dtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2003, 12:33 PM   #25
TexLex

Morning Sickness

Quote:
Originally posted by viet_mom
Adoption worked for me. (:
Hehe. Too late for that! I'm not puking - I feel so bad I wish I could, you know? I'm hungry, but I go to eat and can't stand it. The Dr. says I can lose a few lbs and I'll be fine, so I'm not too worried. I've been drinking lots and I might go out for soup at lunch - that sounds like it might be OK. I've been sleeping 10+ hrs/night and napping in the afternoons. Wow - that all sounds pathetic. I just keep thinking the kid must be healthy to pump out all those hormones so I should be thankful - and I am.

-T(ugh)L and the Lexling
Old 04-10-2003, 02:34 PM   #26
flatlander

Finding Pre-K in NYC

"The Manhattan Directory of Private Nursery Schools"
by Linda Faulhaber

The book lists all of the pre-schools in Manhattan with vital info including admissions procedures, along with special programs if they have any.

The Parents League has resources on pre-schools as well.

Good Luck!
Old 04-10-2003, 06:39 PM   #27
On Remand

Finding Pre-K in NYC

Quote:
Originally posted by flatlander
"The Manhattan Directory of Private Nursery Schools"
by Linda Faulhaber

The book lists all of the pre-schools in Manhattan with vital info including admissions procedures, along with special programs if they have any.

The Parents League has resources on pre-schools as well.

Good Luck!

Thanks dtb and Flatlander!
Old 04-11-2003, 11:31 AM   #28
bilmore
Too Good For Post Numbers

Reader's Digest Moment

Signs that the politeness training is paying off:

Teaching kid to use Google - he needs to find the average weight of a human heart.

I tell him "find three words that are important in describing what you need to find, and type them in with a space in between them."

He types "heart human."

I say, good - but you need one more word.

He thinks for a minute, and then types in "heart human please."
bilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:18 PM   #29
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Reader's Digest Moment

Quote:
Originally posted by bilmore
He thinks for a minute, and then types in "heart human please."
That's just precious. Were his feelings hurt when you laughed your ass off?
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2003, 12:54 PM   #30
bilmore
Too Good For Post Numbers

Reader's Digest Moment

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus Grinch
That's just precious. Were his feelings hurt when you laughed your ass off?
It was more of an "awwww" reaction.
bilmore is offline   Reply With Quote