LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Chicago

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 597
0 members and 597 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 10-14-2004, 06:23 PM   #286
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Judge Transfered for Profanity-Laced Tirade...

One thing I don't get -- if they want to keep the guy calm and avoid further F-bomb laced tirades, why in the hell did they send him to Domestic Relations division?

Link

Last edited by Aloha Mr. Learned Hand; 10-14-2004 at 06:26 PM..
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 08:23 PM   #287
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

Quote:
Originally posted by Aloha Mr. Learned Hand
One thing I don't get -- if they want to keep the guy calm and avoid further F-bomb laced tirades, why in the hell did they send him to Domestic Relations division?

Link
Talked about that with some relevant Chicagoans over the weekend. He's angry that responding officers didn't cuff the off-duty police officer. Take it up with the responding officers. I don't remember if he refused a breathalyzer, but if he wasn't asked, take it up with the responding officers. If he refused to blow, it was grounds for dismissal from the department but I don't see how it can be used against him in sentencing. The judge implied the guy is going to jail, which is fine if its for like a week, but Cook County seems to let a lot of pedestrian deaths go by without sentencing anyone to jail, so no reason to single out this guy for misconduct on the part of his arresting officers.

OTOH, there had to be some reason Devine prosecuted, so I think the facts went against him and the police department probably has records indicating he refused to blow (in which case the department won't and shouldn't cover for him).

In other news relating to this judge's base complaint, I've now heard 2 sexual assault complaints against on-duty police officers in the last 18 months. In one case, the department took 6 months to bring charges after the complaint, and basically waited until a surveillance video turned up showing the sergeant's car following the victim's far out of the sergeant's district (after he had sworn he never left his district or something). The sergeant was the son of one of the highest-ranking officers in the city (a female).

In the other very-recent case, another sergeant was just charged several months after allegations were made.

In both cases, the attorneys representing the supposed victims (and I don't mean "supposed" to be snarky) blasted the police department and said charges would not have been brought but for the video tape (in #1) and but for the impending lawsuit (in #2). Just two more scandals to add to the heap.

In other news that has never been reported and which I can't vouch for 100%, the superintendent's son was promoted a while back. So was every other member of his son's old tactical unit on the west side. Because they were clearly and uniformly the best of the best and the brightest of the brightest. Mmm hmm. Rumor has it though that his son and at least a few of the people in the unit were above-average or even exceptional.

A judge should be suspicious in Chicago, but I thought this guy's threat of jail was stated in a manner that was a bit over the top. We'll see at sentencing how this ends up. The same judge still gets to sentence the defendant, right?

Hello

Say_hello_for_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:40 AM   #288
mmm3587
Fast left eighty slippy

Quote:
Originally posted by Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Link
Because it's not a reassignment to help him deal with issues; it's a punishment for daring to question the tradition of police officers being treated as above the law.

1300 S. Michigan is the biggest hellhole of a court facility[1] in Chicago, and the docket there is terrible, sad and hard to manage, with accusers and their families crammed in with defendants and their families. Real law doesn't take place there, since prosecutors can't even dismiss baseless charges (which probably are very rare anyway) completely; they have to do alternative dispositions involving counseling, etc. That's expensive, too, so you're basically guilty if you're arrested. Hopefully the new building will be better, at least in the space and placement issues, but it's still years off.

[1] The hallway runs along one side, about ten feet wide, and almost everyone has to wait out there, since the courtrooms (about 20 X 30 feet) are tiny and don't have 20% of the space needed. Altercations are common in the hallways. Bathroom facilities are inadequate; the elevators don't work that well. It's too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter.
mmm3587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #289
mmm3587
Fast left eighty slippy

Quote:
Originally posted by Say_hello_for_me
Talked about that with some relevant Chicagoans over the weekend. He's angry that responding officers didn't cuff the off-duty police officer. Take it up with the responding officers. I don't remember if he refused a breathalyzer, but if he wasn't asked, take it up with the responding officers.
Let's be clear about something. If you kill a pedestrian in a traffic accident in Chicago and appear drunk, you're getting arrested and breath tested. If you refuse to blow, they will normally get a court order to draw your blood. There is one reason and one reason only that this guy is not doing ten years for manslaughter. He's a cop. That's it, that's all. It's disgusting. Fucking disgusting.
Old 10-15-2004, 10:45 AM   #290
mmm3587
Fast left eighty slippy

Sorry, double post.

Last edited by mmm3587; 10-15-2004 at 10:47 AM..
Old 10-15-2004, 10:55 AM   #291
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

Quote:
Originally posted by mmm3587
Let's be clear about something. If you kill a pedestrian in a traffic accident in Chicago and appear drunk, you're getting arrested and breath tested. If you refuse to blow, they will normally get a court order to draw your blood. There is one reason and one reason only that this guy is not doing ten years for manslaughter. He's a cop. That's it, that's all. It's disgusting. Fucking disgusting.
Yeah, let's be clear about something. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. The relevant Chicagoans I talked to are Chicago police officers and supervisors. And before you jump to any more improper conclusions, they suspect this guy was treated favorably and improperly. You are simply wrong. Could this be because the only time you've seen anyone involved in a traffic accident in Chicago is because they've been charged? Your sample population is wrong.

Mandatory breath testing and court orders? You might want to check on that again. Puhleeze. This is Chicago. So the "special treatment" thing vis a vis violation of orders doesn't fly. But, like I said, it appears there is some reason or other that Devine's office approved charges. And I suspect its because the guy refused to blow, which is a violation of his own orders (police aren't supposed to refuse to blow, period, and still keep their jobs). If not that, I'm not sure why Devine would step out on this limb, given that it embarrasses his buddy (in both your eyes and mine). Anyway, my basic point in your quote is still valid. Problem with the arresting officers? Take it up with them, but don't take it out on OJ.

And I can't recall any time that somebody actually did ten years for manslaughter for hitting a pedestrian in Chicago, though I'd imagine its happened. Christ, I'm not sure that anybody gets sentenced to that even if they've truly fled, which is a pretty common occurence.

Old 10-15-2004, 03:03 PM   #292
mmm3587
Fast left eighty slippy

Quote:
Yeah, let's be clear about something. You obviously don't know what you are talking about. The relevant Chicagoans I talked to are Chicago police officers and supervisors. And before you jump to any more improper conclusions, they suspect this guy was treated favorably and improperly. You are simply wrong. Could this be because the only time you've seen anyone involved in a traffic accident in Chicago is because they've been charged? Your sample population is wrong.

Mandatory breath testing and court orders? You might want to check on that again. Puhleeze. This is Chicago. So the "special treatment" thing vis a vis violation of orders doesn't fly. But, like I said, it appears there is some reason or other that Devine's office approved charges. And I suspect its because the guy refused to blow, which is a violation of his own orders (police aren't supposed to refuse to blow, period, and still keep their jobs). If not that, I'm not sure why Devine would step out on this limb, given that it embarrasses his buddy (in both your eyes and mine). Anyway, my basic point in your quote is still valid. Problem with the arresting officers? Take it up with them, but don't take it out on OJ.

And I can't recall any time that somebody actually did ten years for manslaughter for hitting a pedestrian in Chicago, though I'd imagine its happened. Christ, I'm not sure that anybody gets sentenced to that even if they've truly fled, which is a pretty common occurence.
You are so misguided it's hilarious. Your contacts are members of the Chicaco Police Department, and even they agree that he was treated with favoritism. Do you have any concept of how wrong and illegal someone has to act before CPD admits that one of their own did something wrong.

Let me refresh your memory as to Illinois law. It applies in Chicago (which is part of Illinois), and it is definitely applied to anyone who is a minority, a professional, a white guy who doesn't bribe the arresting officer or a woman who won't agree to blow the arresting officer.

Refusing to consent to a breath test while driving in the State of Illinois, where probable cause exists for such a breath test, is, in and of itself, a violation of law. Refusing to consent to a breath test also carries with it the same consequences as driving drunk. In serious and fatal traffic accidents, court orders to compel breath and blood tests (with force, if necessary) are common.

I will look for common sentences for people who kill pedestrians while driving drunk, but I don't think 5-10 years is at all uncommon. If a white girl in the Gold Coast was killed by a drunk Cabrini Green resident, you can be sure that a significant prison sentence would follow. The offender would probably also get the shit beat out of him on the way to wherever he was going.

It doesn't matter if the arresting officers just treated the guy well instead of handcuffing him and bashing his head, like they probably would have done to a brother. He killed someone because he was driving drunk. There's no evidence of that because the rules and law were violated, so the CPD managed to protect one of their own, yet again. He's doing a little prison instead of a lot.

Don't kid yourself. The Chicago Police Department trails only the New Orleans Police Department as the most criminal police department in the country. CPD officers being charged with major crimes is a relatively common occurence. I don't even want to know how many more were covered up or ignored.
Old 10-15-2004, 06:40 PM   #293
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

Quote:
You are so misguided it's hilarious. Your contacts are members of the Chicaco Police Department, and even they agree that he was treated with favoritism. Do you have any concept of how wrong and illegal someone has to act before CPD admits that one of their own did something wrong.

Let me refresh your memory as to Illinois law. It applies in Chicago (which is part of Illinois), and it is definitely applied to anyone who is a minority, a professional, a white guy who doesn't bribe the arresting officer or a woman who won't agree to blow the arresting officer.

There's no evidence of that because the rules and law were violated, so the CPD managed to protect one of their own, yet again. He's doing a little prison instead of a lot.
The thing is, we agree that the department is crooked as all hell. Despite the length of my post, the part that I perhaps should have made more clear, is that the rules do not require the testing of every driver involved in a fatal accident. Do you want the phone number to the people I know so you can get a copy of the police department's orders so that you can read through 4,000 pages until you realize that there is no such order? Moreover, even the "orders" are only "guidelines".

Here's how reliable the numerous people I know in the Chicago Police Department are. The 10 I'm closest to will never set anyone up with a cop. They uniformly agree the department is a cesspool, particularly at the highest level. The parts of your post that I omitted are basically supported by the post you were responding to. But, unless you've studied (or taught) the 4,000 pages of general orders of the orders of the Chicago Police Department, I'm telling you that there is no basis for your statement that they broke the rules if they didn't demand he blow.

If they did ask him, good for them and bad for the disciplinarians in the department. In particular, he was supposed to be fired then before the conviction, as you can't refuse to blow upon request under the orders. But you might want to check with someone who has been exposed to the rules before you start spouting off about what they are. Clearly, you have not.

ETA, and just in case its not clear, I completely agree that its completely a cesspool. The whole fucking city is. Would you run for mayor against Daley? I will support anyone, and I mean anyone, who is not currently affiliated with the Democratic party in Chicago or Cook County.

E (again) TA http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...ssouthwest-hed
It appears they did request that he submit to a breathalyzer, which was a good idea. He refused. Further, given that refusing to blow is a terminating offense for which others have been fired, its inexplainable that the guy was working on desk duty until the trial. He should have been suspending pending separation the next day. Cess. Pool.
It wasn't mandatory that they ask him to blow; and its not mandatory to try and force him to blow if he refuses. I'm told that the great majority of officers are not qualified or equipped to even give a breathalyzer, which probably helps explain why DUI rates are far higher in *some* suburbs that take safety more seriously. Personally, I think drunk drivers, including 1 or 2 distant members of my family, should be shot.

Hello

Last edited by Say_hello_for_me; 10-15-2004 at 11:01 PM..
Old 10-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #294
mmm3587
Fast left eighty slippy

You're all caught up in CPD orders. I don't care about those. I'm talking about the law. I just know that refusing a breath test is in and of itself a crime in Illinois, that doing so after a fatal accident often leads to a court order for blood work and that people who kill others while driving drunk in Illinois often do real prison time.

Do I believe that the cops would have been vigorous with a different type of defendant? Yes. Do I believe that they didn't arrest this guy, get a court order and draw his blood at least partially, and probably mostly, because he was a cop? I don't know, but it sure as hell sounds like it.

I've proudly voted against Daley every election I've had the chance to, and I'll continue to do so, even if I'm voting for John Fucking Jakes again. Chicago will change, eventually, but it's still pathetic in the interim.
Old 10-19-2004, 06:47 PM   #295
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

Quote:
You're all caught up in CPD orders. I don't care about those. I'm talking about the law. I just know that refusing a breath test is in and of itself a crime in Illinois, that doing so after a fatal accident often leads to a court order for blood work and that people who kill others while driving drunk in Illinois often do real prison time.
1st sentence: If you don't care about the orders or rules of the Chicago Police Department, then you shouldn't purport to have knowledge of such by asserting that employees have violated both the rules and the law. Strangely, though they are not under orders to breathalyze drivers in every fatal accident, these guys did the right thing and requested that their comrade in arms submit to one (I'm sure a supervisor was called to the scene too). Further, they testified against the guy in a harmful manner in court. So, I'd gonna partially retract my strong criticism of them that I first made. Still, some of the problems the judge raised are problems with the responding officers (i.e., failure to handcuff), and they should not be used in judging the defendant.
2nd sentence: It leads to a suspension of your license if the police properly fill out the proper paperwork. I checked with the sources again (just to confirm), and they said a court order in Chicago would be very, very rare. On the final point, I agree. DUIs who kill people do often do real prison time. Than again, there are often other aggravating factors, such as fleeing and eluding or a prior-history etc. No matter, I don't have a problem with this guy getting something. I just don't want him being blamed because his arrestors treated him too nicely.

Quote:
Do I believe that the cops would have been vigorous with a different type of defendant? Yes. Do I believe that they didn't arrest this guy, get a court order and draw his blood at least partially, and probably mostly, because he was a cop? I don't know, but it sure as hell sounds like it.
I'm not positive, but I'm under the impression that they did arrest him. No matter, they at least initially gave this guy the benefit of the doubt, and he sounds like he did nothing to deserve it besides flashing a badge.

The city is a freakin mess. That said, the 1.8 billion for the toll road was a good tactical move by Daley. Maybe Maria Pappas next? One way or another, me and about 100 of my friends and families in a very machine-oriented wards are going out heavy against Daley next chance we get. He's killing the city.

Hello

Old 11-17-2004, 07:07 PM   #296
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Another week, another Chicago scandal...

Now its the Tow Trucks. FBI is investigating thousand of cars reported "crushed" and unclaimed after 15 days in city auto pounds reportedly turning up uncrushed with new titles in other states... towing company got city contract 9 days after incorporating shortly after Daley's election in 1989. Developing...

Link
Old 12-03-2004, 11:38 AM   #297
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Poor Cubbies...

ESPN Radio says word out of NY is that the Mets are backing off of taking declining slugger Sammy Sosa from the Cubs over concerns related to the disclosures about steroid use by Bonds and Giambi... gee, I wonder why they would suspect him???

Particularly interesting is the fact that Mets GM Omar Minaya, the guy who apparently is shying away from him, is the same guy that first signed Sammy out of the Dominican as a teenager.

Looks like Sammy and his shrinking biceps and HR totals will be stuck at Wrigley for another year. Boo. Hoo.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:51 PM   #298
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

and for everybody but the real Chicagoans...

a bit of a news roundup of some of the most notable and newsworthy events of the past few weeks:

Chicago artist Ed Paschke died. I guess its one of those things where you either know who he was or you don't. Truly one of the finest.

Da mare's only surviving son, pedigreed at Illinois and with an MBA from Chicago, versed in baseball battology and West Point dropoutagrophy, the first Republican in his family, is joining the army at 29. As a private. Active duty.

Speculation is that he's being sacrificed to the Gods for the sins of his parents.

And homicides are on track to be at their lowest since 1965, a 25% drop this year. Pessimistic as I am about the city, there is no way to pooh-pooh this like its nothing. There is still hope.

Hello

Old 12-06-2004, 11:36 AM   #299
mmm3587
Fast left eighty slippy

and for everybody but the real Chicagoans...

Quote:
Da mare's only surviving son, pedigreed at Illinois and with an MBA from Chicago, versed in baseball battology and West Point dropoutagrophy, the first Republican in his family, is joining the army at 29. As a private. Active duty.

Speculation is that he's being sacrificed to the Gods for the sins of his parents.
I think it was Kass who hit the nail on the head when he said that this is the first step towards Patrick's (I think that's this one's name) political career. He needs to erase all the baseball batting and other stuff he's been involved in. I've also heard rumblings that Da Mare will be Da Mare until Da Son takes over, so this is the notice that Patty will do two years in the Army, come back to run some crony company, and then be running in 2010 or whenever the election is.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:56 AM   #300
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Don't Forget to Vote

XRT has posted the ballot for this year's listener poll. Don't forget to vote for what really matters.