LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > DC

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 470
0 members and 470 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-12-2004, 01:49 PM   #301
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

Holland & Knight memo

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
Not sure it's that. They actually might allow vacation for a couple of weeks, plus holidays.
Hmmmm... Just goes to show how different experiences lead to different assumptions. I used to work at a firm that looked at hours on a monthly basis like this (I know every firm looks at hours monthly, but I mean emphasised the monthly number), and their policy was that one could take as many vacation/holiday days as you wanted, as long as the monthly number was met. December was always difficult.

Of course, it wasn't 175 either. (Since you're wondering, min was 145 without a good excuse, 165 the goal for a "good" month - overall, a pretty humane place. 'Course, it was in Baltimore.)
baltassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #302
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Holland & Knight memo

Quote:
Originally posted by baltassoc
Hmmmm... Just goes to show how different experiences lead to different assumptions. I used to work at a firm that looked at hours on a monthly basis like this (I know every firm looks at hours monthly, but I mean emphasised the monthly number), and their policy was that one could take as many vacation/holiday days as you wanted, as long as the monthly number was met. December was always difficult.
I don't think firms are too different in that regard, although mine did generally let you have an excuse--vacation--for one month. You were far better off takign a two week vacation than a bunch of three-day weekends. In other words, put the hit in one month, explain it, and move on.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:59 PM   #303
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Motherfucking Metro

has jacked up fares again. Have they no shame. Bilmore, have they none?
Old 07-25-2004, 08:24 PM   #304
George Bush
No Rank For You!

Metro

Shame is a word that applies only in the context of conscience, which in turn requires sentience. Those that run the Metro seem to have neither.

Where is everyone? I go away for a few months, and everyone seems to disappear...
George Bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2004, 04:41 PM   #305
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Attention Red Line riders

You may want to seek alternative means of getting home:

Old 11-15-2004, 06:05 PM   #306
Regional Anon

Referral for internet stalking help

A childhood friend has been internet-stalked by a DC-area former acquaintance (she thinks) for several years. The guy has been posting her picture and giving out her address and other information to guys on the internet. He is now spoofing mass e-mails from her work e-mail address and generally making her life a living hell. Apparently, he has done a very good job of covering his tracks, but the situation is getting absurd; there are strange men pounding on her door to have sex with her in the middle of the night. When they are rebuffed, several have threatened violence.

This needs to be dealt with. I would greatly appreciate advice on

(i) lcoal counsel to retain to advise on the best way to address this situation; and

(ii) the best way to use internet stalking laws (especially federal ones) to address this situation. So far, the FBI has apparently been less than helpful.

The priority is getting it to stop, not necessarily getting the guy charged. The family is ready to use all legal actions to get it to stop. Would preparing a suit to file and then serving notice of the lawsuit on his work and home be legal? Obviously, I don't want legal advice here, but please point me to any resources who could advise my friend and her family on what she can do to get this to stop.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:59 PM   #307
leagleaze
I didn't do it.

Start here

http://www.stalkingvictims.com/home.htm

http://www.antistalking.com/
leagleaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 10:31 AM   #308
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

Shakespeare

This weekend I went to go see Two Gentlemen of Verona at the Folger Shakespeare library theater.

I highly recommend it. It's not one of Shakespeare's best plays, but the production is great. The theater is also very intimate. I don't think there's a bad seat there.

I think it's open for two more weeks. You should go.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:12 PM   #309
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

DC

So what's a spinster gal to do in the nation's capital? Any recommendations for fun entertaining watering holes? Drinking companions are welcome to join me.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:58 PM   #310
Say_hello_for_me
Theo rests his case

DC

Quote:
Originally posted by Anne Elk
So what's a spinster gal to do in the nation's capital? Any recommendations for fun entertaining watering holes? Drinking companions are welcome to join me.

Thanks.
I'm not much on drinking anymore, but I have a few things I can recommend. Eat at Kinkeads (seafood, which I realize is a bit of a strech-recommendation to a Bostoner) on Pennsylvania (maybe 17th or 18th... its findable online if you spell the name right, which I may not have done).

In the summertime, the Georgetown waterfront is an awesome place to get drunk on friday afternoons/evenings... sorta crowded. Lots of the Georgetown places have adult crowds in their late 20s/early 30s.

Close to the Capitol? There is a beautiful new area around 7th and G or so. A few options like Fado' for drinking. The best Pizza (supposedly) is Pizzeria Paradiso, which is now chained in Georgetown but the original is a second floor walkup in DuPont Circle on P street.

I'd bet some of the hipsters here (Sammy?, the original mmmmm?, whatshername?) can give you hipper advice.

If you are in the burbs, Bethesda MD is pretty-close-to-perfect, and old town Alexandria is nice. I'm partial to the Irish bar on King street, but there are quite a few nice places to eat there. OTOH, Alexandria ain't exactly alive with young people at the times when I'm there.

Basically, it all depends where you'll be, what you'll be doing, how long you'll be staying, and who you'll be hanging with, but there are a good number of options to last for at least a few months.

Undersec, er, Hello

Say_hello_for_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 10:08 AM   #311
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

DC

Quote:
So what's a spinster gal to do in the nation's capital?
What are you up for? The hipster night clubs? The lower-key drink places? Music?

I'd start with Adams-Morgan, and avoid Georgetown, which tends to be younger. Unless you want to say you fucked the president's daughter, in which case get yourself to Smith Point.

Kinkead's is good eats, but spendy. Also, if it's seafood you want, you're probably better off going somewhere in Boston. Vidalia and Georgia Brown's are both good, fun, and a bit more local/southern, in a way you don't usually get in Boston.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:18 AM   #312
robustpuppy

DC

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)
What are you up for? The hipster night clubs? The lower-key drink places? Music?

I'd start with Adams-Morgan, and avoid Georgetown, which tends to be younger. Unless you want to say you fucked the president's daughter, in which case get yourself to Smith Point.

Kinkead's is good eats, but spendy. Also, if it's seafood you want, you're probably better off going somewhere in Boston. Vidalia and Georgia Brown's are both good, fun, and a bit more local/southern, in a way you don't usually get in Boston.
Agree. Definitely go to Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont, I consider that a don't miss. Also, Cashion's in Adams Morgan is my favorite restaurant in D.C., truly one of the best, and I suspect you'd like the atmosphere better than Kinkead's (a place I also love) on a Friday or Saturday night (make reservations). Youl could hit Dan's, Millie and Al's, or Stetson's if you're in a divey neighborhood bar kind of mood; Local 16 if you want a slightly prettier atmosphere (but don't bother if there's a line, no bar in D.C. is worth waiting in line to enter).

You could PM me for more specific suggestions.
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:57 PM   #313
Anne Elk
Apathy rocks!

DC

Quote:
Originally posted by robustpuppy
Agree. Definitely go to Pizzeria Paradiso in Dupont, I consider that a don't miss. Also, Cashion's in Adams Morgan is my favorite restaurant in D.C., truly one of the best, and I suspect you'd like the atmosphere better than Kinkead's (a place I also love) on a Friday or Saturday night (make reservations). Youl could hit Dan's, Millie and Al's, or Stetson's if you're in a divey neighborhood bar kind of mood; Local 16 if you want a slightly prettier atmosphere (but don't bother if there's a line, no bar in D.C. is worth waiting in line to enter).

You could PM me for more specific suggestions.
I'm a low key kinda gal. Beer, live music, dive bars with atmosphere. Where's the best place to find out where the live music is? Any on-line listings? My google efforts have been too general and fruitless so far.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #314
robustpuppy

DC

Quote:
I'm a low key kinda gal. Beer, live music, dive bars with atmosphere. Where's the best place to find out where the live music is? Any on-line listings? My google efforts have been too general and fruitless so far.
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/

http://www.930.com/fs.php?x=1024&ba=IE&bv=6.0&bp=Win

http://www.birchmere.com/index.cfm
robustpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:43 AM   #315
Taltos
25 characters?

I have nothing to say, I just like seeing my work published.