LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Vacations

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 531
0 members and 531 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:55 AM   #316
Paisley

hotel on ocean near Newport

Quote:
Originally posted by Spanky
Yes. There is a bridge on one side and a ferry on the other.

I would recommend staying at a beach resort in Laguna or Laguna Niguel. They are just south of Newport.
2. Laguna has a ton of beach-front hotels.
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 12:59 AM   #317
ltl/fb

Quote:
Originally posted by Paisley
2. Laguna has a ton of beach-front hotels.
Any idea on how long it would take to get from Laguna/Laguna Nigel to Newport Beach? It's my impression that traffic in OC is not as bad as traffic in LA, but I don't have any actual experience.

Which is to say, I said something in Laguna or Laguna Nigel to Hank, and his objection was travel time.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:08 AM   #318
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Any idea on how long it would take to get from Laguna/Laguna Nigel to Newport Beach? It's my impression that traffic in OC is not as bad as traffic in LA, but I don't have any actual experience.

Which is to say, I said something in Laguna or Laguna Nigel to Hank, and his objection was travel time.
2. I'm thinking Laguna. When all my planets align I need to listen. Spanky is my intellectual muse, Fringey the sexual, now if I could only hear from my spiritual muse, Paigow, for final confirmation.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #319
Paisley

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb

Sorry, no idea what the commute is like between the 2. Never done it.

But, Hank, if you do stay in Laguna, and want restaurant recommendations, pm me. There are a number of good places.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #320
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Sorry, no idea what the commute is like between the 2. Never done it.

But, Hank, if you do stay in Laguna, and want restaurant recommendations, pm me. There are a number of good places.
Thanks, I will. Right now I'm looking at a hotel at Dana Point. It looks not too far south of the rest- still not too far away?
Old 03-14-2007, 07:39 PM   #321
Paisley

Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Chinaski
Thanks, I will. Right now I'm looking at a hotel at Dana Point. It looks not too far south of the rest- still not too far away?
I love Dana Point. We like to stay at the St. Regis on our Starwood points. Admittedly not on the water though. (The restaurant is amazing. If you stay down there, you really must go.) The Montage and Ritz are on the water. I have eaten at the Montage and was decidedly not impressed with either the food or the service.

Again, do let me know if you want restaurant recommendations. There are a bunch of good places.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:42 PM   #322
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
I love Dana Point. We like to stay at the St. Regis on our Starwood points. Admittedly not on the water though. (The restaurant is amazing. If you stay down there, you really must go.) The Montage and Ritz are on the water. I have eaten at the Montage and was decidedly not impressed with either the food or the service.

Again, do let me know if you want restaurant recommendations. There are a bunch of good places.
one of my college roommates started a travel agency. he has done all for me for a long time. his firm was great- always finding the right place. about a year ago they got sucked into some national company. now he has these less skilled people, or maybe I'm no longer as important an account- BUT I just get this woman who told me the only hotels are 1 mile from the beach. so then I'm like "here's some links to places in Newport and huntington and Laguna. can you find me a suite on the ocean?" she comes back with an $1800 per night place- that's it. Fuck. there is a doubletree in dana point for $300 per. I can get 2 rooms in laguna at a nice place for $250 per. Options! that's what you want in a travel agent. this person needs to be regulated to take phone orders for air flights.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:24 PM   #323
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

beachy, yet secluded

I am trying to plan a trip somewhere with a fair bit of the exotic, even a bit secluded, but not entirely isolated. Anyone have recommendations that are reasonably accessible (caribbean, mexico, belize, costa rica, etc)?

I would prefer someplace that has things other than just sitting on the beach to do, but if it is particularly beautiful I could make due with just beach and natural beauty.
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 10:30 PM   #324
Paisley

beachy, yet secluded

Quote:
Originally posted by Adder
I am trying to plan a trip somewhere with a fair bit of the exotic, even a bit secluded, but not entirely isolated. Anyone have recommendations that are reasonably accessible (caribbean, mexico, belize, costa rica, etc)?

I would prefer someplace that has things other than just sitting on the beach to do, but if it is particularly beautiful I could make due with just beach and natural beauty.
Cabo San Lucas? Very close to the airport, so transit is easy, and you can scuba dive, go on boat excursions, etc. Very pretty.

Or Cancun/ Yucatan Peninsula? Mayan ruins, plus the diving?

I also know of a very cool eco-resort on Baja. Totally gorgeous, but not much to do outside of the resort. (They do have a big golf course though, and coral reefs for snorkel/diving.)

If any of this is the right vibe, let me know, and I can give more specific recommendations.

Last edited by Paisley; 03-17-2007 at 10:37 PM..
Old 03-17-2007, 11:04 PM   #325
Hank Chinaski

beachy, yet secluded

Quote:
Originally posted by Adder

you should study up on the OC in Cali. great beaches. find a nice semi-expensive place on the ocean with suite rooms. then when you have a short list PM me the list and I'll help. Semi-expensive means 300-700 per night.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:40 PM   #326
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Carribean

If you could choose one destination in the Carribean for a 5-day vacation, where would it be? Please recommend resorts.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:07 PM   #327
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Carribean

Quote:
Originally posted by Did you just call me Coltrane?
If you could choose one destination in the Carribean for a 5-day vacation, where would it be? Please recommend resorts.
What kind of vacation? Are we talking a collapse by the beach, soak up sun, and do squat vacation (4 Seasons Nevis), a wild and crazy drunken babefest (see others for recommendations), or an outdoorsy, kayaking, snorkeling, wandering in Jungles kind of vacation (Turtle Inn, Belize)?
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #328
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Carribean

Quote:
Originally posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy
What kind of vacation? Are we talking a collapse by the beach, soak up sun, and do squat vacation (4 Seasons Nevis), a wild and crazy drunken babefest (see others for recommendations), or an outdoorsy, kayaking, snorkeling, wandering in Jungles kind of vacation (Turtle Inn, Belize)?
A combination of the first and the last.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:14 PM   #329
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Carribean

Quote:
Belize is a more happening place; Nevis is pretty sleepy (but neighboring St. Kitts is a bit busier, and has some great old forts and the like). But I haven't traveled widely in the Carribean, so others may have their ideas. But look up both those spots.
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 05:30 PM   #330
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Carribean

Quote:
Translation:

PM me with information on the second for my next vacay without the ball and chain.