LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > The Fashionable

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 417
0 members and 417 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #361
notcasesensitive
Flaired.

Re: Good Documentaries about America?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhitenorthchick View Post
Now that I'm becoming a citizen, I have decided to make an effort to learn about this country's history -- I'm kind of shocked at my ignorance - I had always thought that I kind of knew everything because of being raised on US network TV. Anyway, I have now watched Ken Burns' The Dust Bowl and am in the middle of The Civil War. I also watched America: The Story of Us, which was a little too rah rah, but (a) I found out that Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone were in fact real people (who knew) and (b) I think I did actually become a more optimistic person, so kudos to rah rah documentaries.

I am looking for suggestions for more documentaries, perhaps about the Revolution and the Civil Rights movement -- or if there are any good books that are not historical fiction. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be most appreciated.
I watched Ken Burns' The West series recently and really liked it (though it was a bit repetitive). I learned a lot about the settlement of the western US, most of which was never taught in my NY public schools.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:18 PM   #362
Flinty_McFlint

Quote:
Now that I'm becoming a citizen, I have decided to make an effort to learn about this country's history -- I'm kind of shocked at my ignorance - I had always thought that I kind of knew everything because of being raised on US network TV. Anyway, I have now watched Ken Burns' The Dust Bowl and am in the middle of The Civil War. I also watched America: The Story of Us, which was a little too rah rah, but (a) I found out that Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone were in fact real people (who knew) and (b) I think I did actually become a more optimistic person, so kudos to rah rah documentaries.

I am looking for suggestions for more documentaries, perhaps about the Revolution and the Civil Rights movement -- or if there are any good books that are not historical fiction. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be most appreciated.
The fact that you are interested in learning about our country's history is a clear sign that you are not a homegrown citizen. If you want to pass, please feign ignorance of all but the most basic facts. There are 50 states, etc. Anything more than that will raise this response from most of the populace:

Old 06-16-2015, 06:20 PM   #363
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Thank you!

Woo hoo!! Thank you all! There is a lot out there. Much appreciated.
greatwhitenorthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:29 PM   #364
greatwhitenorthchick
Steaming Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flinty_McFlint View Post
The fact that you are interested in learning about our country's history is a clear sign that you are not a homegrown citizen. If you want to pass, please feign ignorance of all but the most basic facts. There are 50 states, etc. Anything more than that will raise this response from most of the populace:

Just FYI, Donald Sutherland is Canadian -- maybe not the best image to use to crush my newfound optimism. You can't stop me!
greatwhitenorthchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #365
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Quote:
Just FYI, Donald Sutherland is Canadian -- maybe not the best image to use to crush my newfound optimism. You can't stop me!
But Flinty makes a point, this board was a big part of recent American history, because FBs were not reading books. They were showing their tits. Better for foreigners to come here and make new history?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:00 PM   #366
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Re: Hank finally identifies a pre-80s punk group!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
See, Wonk, you do like punk.
Hey, hey.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #367
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Re: No Faith in the Moral Standards of the Players as a Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
I haven't seen the ad, but your description tells me that they've played roll reversal here so that because the man in the ad is cool with his wife having an affair, so too will the wives of the men to whom this ad is actually targeted.
Yeah. Cause it always works out that way.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:17 PM   #368
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Quote:

Shelby Foote, sort of the go-to historian on things Southern in the Civil War period, wrote a 3-volume study of the war, The Civil War: A Narrative. It can get a little high falutin' sometimes, but in general, it is pretty good and very well researched and documented.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:30 PM   #369
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:

Did you watch the PBS documentary in which the established Irish immigrants in the early 1900s forced the newly immigrated swarthy dagos to worship only in the basement of NYC Catholic churches?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 PM   #370
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Did you watch the PBS documentary in which the established Irish immigrants in the early 1900s forced the newly immigrated swarthy dagos to worship only in the basement of NYC Catholic churches?
We sent you down there and you invented Open Mike Night. You’re welcome.
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:31 PM   #371
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxwonk View Post
Yeah. Cause it always works out that way.
Isn't Ashley Madison's entire business model based on men assuming things will actually work out as portrayed in the ads, as opposed to, say, getting set up with some skanky gold digger?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #372
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Bob View Post
Alternatively, as your simple request seems to have inspired several of us to give you a post-grad syllabus, you might consider just watching the US history episodes of Schoolhouse Rock on YouTube. "I'm Just a Bill" is great, of course, but I've always had a special place in my heart for "No More Kings" and "The Shot Heard Round The World."

And "The Preamble" and the sadly dated "Elbow Room," too. Anyway, carry on.
Predictable Burger suggestion - the Simpsons' parody of I'm Just a Bill probably more accurately characterized the nature of US law making these days.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:10 AM   #373
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) View Post
Isn't Ashley Madison's entire business model based on men assuming things will actually work out as portrayed in the ads, as opposed to, say, getting set up with some skanky gold digger?
Translation: Fool me once, Ashley Madison, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me a third time, and Jesus, how many fucking skanky gold diggers are there on this site?

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #374
Pretty Little Flower

World Cup

In the unlikely event you have not been following the women's World Cup closely, and are looking for a plucky underdog team to call your own, I say go for Cameroon. 53rd in the FIFA rankings, they knocked off Switzerland with a dramatic come-from-behind 2-1 victory to advance to the knockout stage. And check out this hair:

Here is the winning goal. Pretty:

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/5D4...GXU80YDlaFHnHH

I am not sorry.

Last edited by Pretty Little Flower; 06-17-2015 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: Hank's Penis
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #375
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Re: World Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
In the unlikely event you have not been following the women's World Cup closely, and are looking for a plucky underdog team to call your own, I say go for Cameroon. 53rd in the FIFA rankings, they knocked off Switzerland with a dramatic come-from-behind 2-1 victory to advance to the knockout stage. And check out this hair:

Here is the winning goal. Pretty:

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/5D4...GXU80YDlaFHnHH
Camaroon is awesome. They caught my eye in the Japan game. One of their players (the one with the glasses, I think, the FIFA highlight reel doesn't feature the shot I'm thinking of) has a cannon of a shot from right at the line, and the woman with the awesome hair just fights and fights and fights for offense (plus, she has unbelievably long legs). I was really happy that they made it past the Swiss last night, and I was really irritated in the post game shows that they didn't even talk about that game.

Also, check out Colombia if you haven't seen them yet. Their victory over France on Saturday was a thing of beauty. They are playing England today, and though they're on top, it's a fairly tight group, so I imagine they're going to fight hard.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote