LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Regional Forums > Chicago

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 751
1 members and 750 guests
Hank Chinaski
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 12-20-2005, 12:12 PM   #421
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Housing Market

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
Boys Town is very stable. We are all looking forward to pictures of you in chaps (and nothing else) in front of your lovely new home. Um, from the back, please.
Not quite in Boystown, but it's not a bad a idea to follow the gays - their flowers/yards are fabulous, which increases the vaule of the entire neighborhood.

You want a picture of my ass? Why didn't you just ask?
Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #422
ltl/fb

Housing Market

Quote:
Originally posted by Did you just call me Coltrane?
Not quite in Boystown, but it's not a bad a idea to follow the gays - their flowers/yards are fabulous, which increases the vaule of the entire neighborhood.

You want a picture of my ass? Why didn't you just ask?
*sniff* I miss Chicago. Uh, except for the weather. And the lack of any sunshine whatsoever.

Your ass in chaps, baby.

Truth to tell, I know nothing about housing prices in Lakeview. I rented, and it was a long time ago.
ltl/fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #423
Replaced_Texan
Random Syndicate (admin)

Housing Market

Quote:
2. I live in Montrose in Houston, and the yard of the month competition can be cutthroat. Note: never cut your gay next-door-neighbor's vines.

I bought this book for Christmas for my sister who lives in the Mission District in San Francisco. It's sort of a look at bohemian neighborhoods and it focuses specifically on Wicker Park in Chicago. I may end up stealing it from my sister.
"In the olden days before the internet, you'd take this sort of person for a ride out into the woods and shoot them, as Darwin intended, before he could spawn."--Will the Vampire People Leave the Lobby? pg 79
Replaced_Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 12:19 PM   #424
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Housing Market

Quote:
What do we think? I'm very close to buying a place in Lakeview - I think it's a great deal (compared to surrounding sales in the area). It's not new construction, and actually needs some work (which I like). Moreover, it's not a stepping-stone place; I plan to stay there for at least five years.

The Lakeview market is in no danger of moving drastically in any direction, right?
If it's in "West Lakeview" (i.e., around Ashland or Damen) then it's a strong growth area that's really only in the early stages of gentrification. That makes the five-year appreciation potential huge. Negatives are you might not want to do much walking around at night until you get a good feel for the neighborhood, and there is not nearly as much public transtportation. My brother lives near Barry and Damen and he drives downtown because it would be over an hour commuting by bus to the el.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:19 PM   #425

Housing Market

Quote:
Originally posted by ltl/fb
*sniff* I miss Chicago. Uh, except for the weather. And the lack of any sunshine whatsoever.

Your ass in chaps, baby.
I think we get a decent amount of sunshine. Of course, it's 12 degrees right now, so who really cares.

I'll PM you a picture of my chapped ass.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:23 PM   #426

Housing Market

Quote:
Originally posted by Replaced_Texan
2. I live in Montrose in Houston, and the yard of the month competition can be cutthroat. Note: never cut your gay next-door-neighbor's vines.
It's unbelievable how much better a well-landscaped 12x12 front yard makes a street look, especially when they are all beautiful.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:24 PM   #427

Housing Market

Quote:
Originally posted by taxwonk
If it's in "West Lakeview" (i.e., around Ashland or Damen) then it's a strong growth area that's really only in the early stages of gentrification. That makes the five-year appreciation potential huge. Negatives are you might not want to do much walking around at night until you get a good feel for the neighborhood, and there is not nearly as much public transtportation. My brother lives near Barry and Damen and he drives downtown because it would be over an hour commuting by bus to the el.
Not quite that far west. In fact, it's on Racine.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #428
taxwonk
Wild Rumpus Facilitator

Housing Market

Quote:
Not quite that far west. In fact, it's on Racine.
Then you're pretty much golden. Housing prices will drop in that area about the same time Thurgreed does NFH. And posts about it.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:10 PM   #429
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Quote:
The Lakeview market is in no danger of moving drastically in any direction, right?
No, but if it does it'll be up rather than down.
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 01:28 PM   #430

Quote:
Originally posted by Aloha Mr. Learned Hand
No, but if it does it'll be up rather than down.
Cool. Thanks.

I wanted to buy in a more up-and-coming area, but that's b/c I can walk anywhere at night w/out really being worried. Sequels cannot.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:55 PM   #431
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

Quote:
Cool. Thanks.

I wanted to buy in a more up-and-coming area, but that's b/c I can walk anywhere at night w/out really being worried. Sequels cannot.
When I got here a year ago, theoretically with hip young family in tow, Lakeview was the neighborhood the agent I was working kept pointing me to, despite it being kind of outside his normal region (which was Lincoln Park, the area one of the partners thought would be "just perfect" fro me - apparently under the mis-impression that my firm pays associates $300,000 a year).

So if you're looking for a fairly safe neighborhood that is moderately hip but will transition you into early parenthood (if that's in your future), you're probably in the right place.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:00 PM   #432

Quote:
Originally posted by baltassoc
When I got here a year ago, theoretically with hip young family in tow, Lakeview was the neighborhood the agent I was working kept pointing me to, despite it being kind of outside his normal region (which was Lincoln Park, the area one of the partners thought would be "just perfect" fro me - apparently under the mis-impression that my firm pays associates $300,000 a year).

So if you're looking for a fairly safe neighborhood that is moderately hip but will transition you into early parenthood (if that's in your future), you're probably in the right place.
I don't really care about hip. I really just need safe and somewhat quiet (but not the suburbs). River North aint that quiet.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:13 PM   #433
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

Quote:
I don't really care about hip. I really just need safe and somewhat quiet (but not the suburbs). River North aint that quiet.
When I say "hip," I mean that there's interesting stuff to do around. There are some decent places to eat around there; some nice shops, etc.

As for River North, tell me about it.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #434
Cletus Miller
the poor-man's spuckler

Housing Market

Quote:
Originally posted by taxwonk
Not that this matters to Coltrane, but South of Belmont and west of the tracks, this may be true, but from Belmont to Irving Park, Ashland to Western, the gentrification is nearly complete. Teardowns on my block have recently crossed the $500k barrier. And "West Lakeview" has been almost completely supplanted by Roscoe Village and St. Ben's/North Center for those neighborhoods. Haven't heard of anyone having any problems walking around at night in the last 4 or 5 years other than the stuff you get anywhere on the northside.

South of Belmont, while I know people who live there happily with kids, I wouldn't buy yet because of (i) the still crummy neighborhood elementary school and (ii) the proximity of the Lathrop Homes. I just don't understand spending $400k+ on a condo or $800k+ for a house directly across the street from a large-ish public housing project that isn't going away. But hey, it's their money.

In any case, 2 (or 4 or whatever) on not worrying about a value crash for property on/near Racine--especially since you aren't buying the most expensive place on the block, you can count on it staying ahead of the market as a whole.
Cletus Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 12:27 PM   #435
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Actual Salary News...

Certain Chicago firms have begun bumping 1st year salaries to $135k from $125k, after almost 6 years of stagnation.
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand is offline   Reply With Quote