LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Mom & Dad, Esq.

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 446
1 members and 445 guests
Tyrone Slothrop
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-20-2004, 10:53 AM   #766
soup sandwich
usually superfluous

Yackety Yack, the Milk Came Back.

Quote:
Originally posted by TexLex
How long is a baby supposed to spit up for? The Lexling is a puking champ and at 5mos, shows no signs of stopping. I feed him at an incline and try not to jiggle him afterward other than burping him, but it's clearly not enough. I tried adding a cereal meal in the afternoons, thinking something more solid would stay down, but nope - right back up.

It doesn't bother him at all and it doesn't shoot more than a few inches, so the ped says it's not reflux and needs no treatment. He only eats 6oz/ feeding or less, but the volume of spit up is pretty substantial - I usually see between .5 and 3oz per feeding again - occasionally more.

I figure this is just something he will grow out of, but any suggestions are welcome - I'm on my 3rd shirt of the day and have resorted to stripping him down to his diapers and a bib!

On the plus side, the tummy pain he had been having for the last few months seems to have gone - not that he can't fart with the best of them, but it just doesn't seem to bother him much anymore.

-T(soggy)L
I was about to jump in with the suggestion that it could be reflux, but your doc has ruled that out. Soupette1 had reflux which we treated with meds until she grew out of it around 7 or 8 months. Maybe your baby will also grow out of it around that time.
soup sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #767
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.)

Quote:
Originally posted by soup sandwich
I was about to jump in with the suggestion that it could be reflux, but your doc has ruled that out. Soupette1 had reflux which we treated with meds until she grew out of it around 7 or 8 months. Maybe your baby will also grow out of it around that time.
A cousin was telling me recently about something he had, like pyretic stinosis, or something close to that, which caused projectile vomiting. It has something to do with the esophageal sphincter essentially squeezing food back out of the throat, rather than keeping it sealed in teh stomach. Since I'm not a doc, I have no idea how one goes about diagnosing this, but the fix, although requiring minor surgery, was relatively simple and riskless, and that was 30 years ago.
Mmmm, Burger (C.J.) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 12:41 PM   #768
bilmore
Too Good For Post Numbers

Quote:
Originally posted by TexLex
How long is a baby supposed to spit up for?
Until he's done.

Seriously, that seems to have been our answer. One kept this up longer than your has. We juggled times, amounts, temperatures, formulas, positions, we even juggled the baby while feeding. Nothing much worked (although sort of stretching him out, vertically, after eating tended to release at least one good-sized low-liquid-volume bubble and lower the eventual liquid production.) Finally, one day, it ended.

If he's not losing weight, and you can stand the permanent spoiled-milk smell, no great problem. Get a feeding apron for your shoulder.
bilmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:40 PM   #769
tmdiva
Quality not quantity

Quote:
Originally posted by bilmore (although sort of stretching him out, vertically, after eating tended to release at least one good-sized low-liquid-volume bubble and lower the eventual liquid production.)
Magnus was a proficient urper as well, and I found that this helped. Also--this is key--no back-patting. After finishing a side, I would just pick him up under the arms and turn him the other way and keep him sitting up. Usually the burp, and no urp, would emerge within 30 seconds or so. This would work even if he was mostly asleep.

tm
tmdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:11 PM   #770
Atticus Grinch
Hello, Dum-Dum.

Later this season, Salvatore "Baby Bear" Ursino will whack a snitch.

Gina from "Sesame Street" to guest on "The Sopranos."
Atticus Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 08:17 AM   #771
baltassoc
Caustically Optimistic

Quote:
Originally posted by Atticus Grinch
Gina from "Sesame Street" to guest on "The Sopranos."
Very cool. But did you notice the accompanying pictures? Gina's looking weathered. I'm not saying she's not hot, but she's definitely been on the show for almost 20 years.

Have you ever noticed how adults on Seseme Street never seem to really age? Gordon's got to be, what, 80 by now? Clearly they've got some killer makeup people.
baltassoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2004, 11:02 AM   #772
bilmore

Quote:
Originally posted by baltassoc
Have you ever noticed how adults on Seseme Street never seem to really age? Gordon's got to be, what, 80 by now? Clearly they've got some killer makeup people.
Look closely next time you watch. Both Bert and Ernie have those little "pull me tight" scars down by their ears, and if that's Big Bird's original feather coloring, I'll eat my hat.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:03 AM   #773
bilmore

Double post. Ooops. Etc.
Old 04-28-2004, 09:47 AM   #774
NW Native
Along for the ride

Quote:
Originally posted by bilmore
Look closely next time you watch. Both Bert and Ernie have those little "pull me tight" scars down by their ears, and if that's Big Bird's original feather coloring, I'll eat my hat.
Yes, but they look mahhhhhvelous.
NW Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:39 PM   #775
viet_mom

Leftover Shrek Cereal

Am I the only one whose diet has become "whatever the kid doesn't finish"? For so long now, I've been eating scraps of mac&cheese, chicken nuggets, mini pancakes and such. There's no hope of getting Vietbabe to eat better so I'll need to stop being the human dustbuster if I want to lose 10 lbs over the course of the next few months.

I just added an exercise/strength-training routine, but I feel lost with the simple task of preparing a meal b/c I can't remember what is "normal" or "good" to eat (especially when family and friends are chowing down greasy sausage as "diet food" ala Adkins). I firmly reject the Adkins diet and really really need a diet with a high level carbs. Today I had pasta, tomatoes, and oranges for the first time in months and I have so much energy I was able to have a good workout. Is there ANY way to lose weight by increasing carbs and lowering fatty foods without having to exercise excessively? By carbs I mean whole wheat pasta with homeade tomato sauce, cous cous with carrots, rice dishes, and carb heavy things like Florida oranges and tomatoes. Is there some anti-Adkins diet I can explore?

Thanks to everyone. PS to Lawyer Princess: how are you doing?

Vietmom

Last edited by viet_mom; 05-02-2004 at 07:43 PM..
viet_mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 07:58 PM   #776
Gardener

www.peterthottam. com -- photos of 6 GIs & Iraqis

Wow. Peter's found the photos and has placed them on his site. Geez, no wonder why the entire Arab world is going ballistic.

What were these idiots thinking? White trash or something more sinister?
Old 05-02-2004, 10:19 PM   #777
bilmore

Quote:
Originally posted by Gardener
Peter's found the photos and has placed them on his site. Geez, no wonder why the entire Arab world is going ballistic.
Why would they be PO'ed at Peter?

And who's Peter?
Old 05-03-2004, 08:45 AM   #778
NW Native
Along for the ride

Quote:
Originally posted by bilmore
Why would they be PO'ed at Peter?

And who's Peter?
And what is he doing on the Mom & Dad board?
Oh wait, I know, Spam in reply to Vietmom's post re: greasy sausage = diet food ala Adkins.
NW Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #779
viet_mom

Quote:
Originally posted by NW Native
And what is he doing on the Mom & Dad board?
Oh wait, I know, Spam in reply to Vietmom's post re: greasy sausage = diet food ala Adkins.
Eggsactly!!
Old 05-03-2004, 11:37 AM   #780
TexLex

Leftover Shrek Cereal

Quote:
Originally posted by viet_mom
Is there some anti-Adkins diet I can explore?
I just bought this It allows healthy (whole wheat/veggie) carbs.

-TL