LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > Miscellaneous > Technology

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 471
1 members and 470 guests
Hank Chinaski
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 04-22-2004, 05:41 PM   #76
Flinty_McFlint

Toothing

Quote:
Originally posted by NotFromHere
But why would a random stranger even send you a message?
I've bluejacked (insert joke here) people before. It's just funny to watch people react to whatever idiotic comment I send to them, such as "That CD sucks ass" or "Don't turn around". Overall, it may be fun for the kids, but it loses its appeal after doing it once or twice. Then again, I'm not out looking for the sex.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:03 PM   #77
NotFromHere
No title

Toothing

Quote:
Originally posted by Flinty_McFlint
I've bluejacked (insert joke here) people before. It's just funny to watch people react to whatever idiotic comment I send to them, such as "That CD sucks ass" or "Don't turn around". Overall, it may be fun for the kids, but it loses its appeal after doing it once or twice. Then again, I'm not out looking for the sex.
So if 4 people are using the wireless, all 4 of them get your message? I guess I don't know how it works. Whoever's in range gets it?
Old 04-22-2004, 06:07 PM   #78
Flinty_McFlint

Toothing

Quote:
So if 4 people are using the wireless, all 4 of them get your message? I guess I don't know how it works. Whoever's in range gets it?
Yeah, your bluetooth enabled phone will search for other bluetooth enabled phones within range, and you can send them the message. It's kinda neat.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:17 PM   #79
NotFromHere
No title

Toothing

Quote:
Yeah, your bluetooth enabled phone will search for other bluetooth enabled phones within range, and you can send them the message. It's kinda neat.
But if you were wanting a "private" conversation, is that possible as well?
Old 04-22-2004, 06:30 PM   #80
Flinty_McFlint

Toothing

Quote:
But if you were wanting a "private" conversation, is that possible as well?
Yeah, as long as you can identify the phone to the right user. If you're in a crowd with multiple users, it might be hard unless you had really good eyes/they are savvy enough to respond with identifying info re: "I'm the small monkey flinging crap in the corner".
Old 04-22-2004, 07:04 PM   #81
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand

Toothing

Quote:
Yeah, as long as you can identify the phone to the right user. If you're in a crowd with multiple users, it might be hard unless you had really good eyes/they are savvy enough to respond with identifying info re: "I'm the small monkey flinging crap in the corner".
Interesting. I'm thinking of upgrading to the new Motorola V600 phone with Bluetooth and the cordless headset. Could be fun.

I've got a friend at the office who bought the new Acura TL with the panel display and Bluetooth enabled so he can voicedial his phone while its still in his pocket, in his briefcase, etc. Have to ask him if he's driving around trying to torment people with this...
Aloha Mr. Learned Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:10 PM   #82
NotFromHere
No title

Toothing

Quote:
Sounds like you could really goof on a person. Like Hey, I'm the guy in the business suit with TM embroidered on my european cut dress shirt, could you come over and squeeze my ass?

So, if I had a wireless option for my HP PDA, would it be worth it to get the attachment?
Old 04-22-2004, 08:00 PM   #83
Flinty_McFlint

Toothing

Quote:
Sounds like you could really goof on a person. Like Hey, I'm the guy in the business suit with TM embroidered on my european cut dress shirt, could you come over and squeeze my ass?

So, if I had a wireless option for my HP PDA, would it be worth it to get the attachment?
Depends on how much it is, I guess. My phone just has it. It is pretty cool to have a wireless headset though, and if you have a bluetooth enabled car like Aloha's friend, it's pretty cool too.

If you all are interested in bluejacking, you should visit:

http://www.bluejackq.com/howtobluejack.asp

Essentially, you should have a pre-prepared set of call contacts (instead of "Mom" you have "I like your ass" or "I'm made of cheese") so you can quickly and surrepticiously (sp) bluejack your target. I programmed, "yes" "no" and "I'm calling the cops" in my phone to cover all applicable responses.

Have fun.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:02 PM   #84
Alex_de_Large
halfsharkalligatorhalfmod

Toothing

Quote:
Not sure. Nor do I know who it was, and I suspect the other person didn't know who I was either.
Old 04-22-2004, 08:05 PM   #85
Alex_de_Large

Toothing

Quote:
Depends on how much it is, I guess. My phone just has it. It is pretty cool to have a wireless headset though, and if you have a bluetooth enabled car like Aloha's friend, it's pretty cool too.
Having used a bluetooth enabled handset and headset for a while now, I will never use a wired headset again. It's a total fucking revelation, as far as I am concerned.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:53 AM   #86
Shape Shifter
World Ruler

Toothing

Quote:
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/communicatio...9152298,00.htm
Old 04-23-2004, 09:52 AM   #87
Alex_de_Large

Toothing

Quote:
Originally posted by leagleaze
Didn't say it was a good idea Burger, just was answering the question.

As far as private conversations you can set your phone so that people cannot randomly find you, if you want. Mine is set that way (I just got a new phone, Nokia 3650, I love it.) There is normally an option that reads something like remain invisible to random users, or what have you. Just click it.
I usually just leave BT off when I am not using it. I find that it is a HUGE drain on the battery, over the course of a day.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:42 PM   #88
NotFromHere
No title

Toothing

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex_de_Large
I usually just leave BT off when I am not using it. I find that it is a HUGE drain on the battery, over the course of a day.
So all you people have it on your phones - not PDAs?
Old 04-23-2004, 03:17 PM   #89
Alex_de_Large

Toothing

Quote:
So all you people have it on your phones - not PDAs?
I have BT on my phone, and also on my PC (via USB dongle). My current PDA (which I hardly ever use because of the great PIM features in my phone, natch) is without BT.
Old 04-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #90
credit this

Scans on a wireless handheld

Sorry to jump into the discussion months behind the times, but there are a couple of misconceptions here.

1. Standard fax format (TIFF with CCITT-4 compression at standard resolution) takes only about 20-25k per page. It would take a while to download a 40-pager over wireless, but a 10-page fax at 225K is perfectly manageable.

You are dealing with 1MB per page only if you scan to pdf format. Sadly, that is what most of the office scanners are set up to do, but the size problem could be avoided (a) for all faxes received electronically, if your GP has a network fax extension, or (b) if the secretary is tech-savvy enough to convert the greyscale pdf from the scanner back to a black-and-white tiff at fax resolution. (I couldn't find any easy way to do (b) in Adobe Acrobat 6, but I was at least able to get it to save in TIFF format, after which I used freeware IrfanView to cram it back into black-and-white with CCITT-4 compression.)

2. AcidImage Pro, mentioned earlier, is a reasonably satisfactory solution for reading the fax on a small screen. (It would be even better if they would program it to take advantage of my Tungsten T3's "landscape mode" where you use the silkscreen area as part of the display and rotate the image 90 degrees). You can zoom in and drag the your viewpoint around with the stylus, which is good enough for reading, e.g., a handwritten markup sent by fax.

Bottom line, you can do faxes via wireless, but you need to be willing to go considerably beyond commodity technology like the BlackBerry.