LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 568
0 members and 568 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 05-19-2022, 01:28 PM   #1141
Greedy,Greedy,Greedy

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
if they ever do Tradle for states I’ll have to remember this.
I rely heavily on agriculture in Tradle, what kind of fish or animal products or plants they grow. Usually gets me to a region in the world pretty quickly, especially with those damn little islands.
Old 05-19-2022, 01:32 PM   #1142
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
One of my summer projects is going to be getting smoking oysters and other shellfish down. I like a lot of the smoked oysters, clams, scallops, etc., but they are even better fresh smoked.
Smoked oysters in olive oil over arugula with balsamic vinegar and some lemon juice with those little asian crunchy noodles cracked. Use the olive oil in the tin. It'll be adequate.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-19-2022 at 01:34 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #1143
Pretty Little Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greedy,Greedy,Greedy View Post
One of my summer projects is going to be getting smoking oysters and other shellfish down. I like a lot of the smoked oysters, clams, scallops, etc., but they are even better fresh smoked.
I’m still working on grilling. And, like magic, within 30 minutes of reading this post, I received a call from my mother who announced she was sending me this:

https://shop.islandcreekoysters.com/...t-in-the-sauce

That’s good mojo.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 05:03 PM   #1144
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Red face Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
I’m still working on grilling. And, like magic, within 30 minutes of reading this post, I received a call from my mother who announced she was sending me this:

https://shop.islandcreekoysters.com/...t-in-the-sauce

That’s good mojo.
Ahh, right. I was still pretty drunk this morning when Penske and I left your mom's place. And we both felt soooo guilty for going behind your back, so I gave her an extra $200 but asked she get something nice for you. Enjoy!

JK Ha ha
Old 05-19-2022, 05:11 PM   #1145
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Ahh, right. I was still pretty drunk this morning when Penske and I left your mom's place. And we both felt soooo guilty for going behind your back, so I gave her an extra $200 but asked she get something nice for you. Enjoy!

JK Ha ha
My signature line finally comes into play!
Old 05-22-2022, 04:36 PM   #1146
Hank Chinaski

Sebby I’m watching a Carlin bio. Very good.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #1147
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Sebby I’m watching a Carlin bio. Very good.
Yup. It's excellent. Apatow did a really good, evenhanded job with it.

I miss him. He was basically like a north star for me as a kid. My folks would be away and we had HBO as soon as it came out. I remember feeling like I was being bullshitted by almost every institution around me. This started, of course, with religion. It was impossible to hear that shit, even as a small kid, and not conclude (Carlin voice), "That's fucking nonsense! The fucking plot doesn't make sense even as fiction!"

But one could never utter that. The devout were all around. I could and did say it to my parents, who'd shrug and remind me that social propriety dictated keeping that sort of opinion quiet. "Be on the team." Of course. Dad got money from the devout. They liked to see the people they worked with in the pews on Sunday.

The assessment most authority is half full of shit, to be generous, only deepened as I got older. The more I looked, the more I understood, Religion is the Grand Exalted Emperor of Bullshit. But it has a very large Court, including almost every institution one is told deserves respect first, scrutiny second.

Carlin stood for the proposition that authority is inherently suspect and probably, inevitably, to some extent, corrupt and interested most in self-preservation. It deserves respect only after proving, despite all those flaws and built in conflicts of interest, it is somehow managing to do the right thing. (And if it didn't have the monopoly on coercive violence [jailing, fining, etc.] it probably wouldn't receive much of any de facto respect at all.)

The notion one should rotate every issue from every angle and examine it fully without bias, and put to scrutiny the aims of every "movement" or institution that seeks power is sadly missing from the debates these days. Instead of smart scrutiny, we've conspiracy theorists, eager to "believe" contra positions rather than carefully assess anything.

Carlin was called a nihilist, or a pissed off idealist. Both miss an essentially positive message in the background. This, from an interview with John Stewart in 1997, best encapsulates it:
"People are wonderful. I love individuals. I hate groups of people. I hate a group of people with a 'common purpose'. 'Cause pretty soon they have little hats. And armbands. And fight songs. And a list of people they're going to visit at 3am. So, I dislike and despise groups of people but I love individuals. Every person you look at; you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking."
That's true. It covers about 75% of my world view. And that last phrase is the thing makes life terrifically interesting.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; 05-23-2022 at 11:15 AM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:41 AM   #1148
Adder
I am beyond a rank!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
The more I looked, the more I understood, Religion is the Grand Exalted Emperor of Bullshit.
As we are about to descend into the world desired by six people's imaginary sky friend, how are we ever going to evolve to a world in which believing crazy shit is disqualifying for public office, rather than the opposite?
Adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:17 PM   #1149
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adder View Post
As we are about to descend into the world desired by six people's imaginary sky friend, how are we ever going to evolve to a world in which believing crazy shit is disqualifying for public office, rather than the opposite?
I'm not sure we ever will reach that place. Interconnectedness, and specifically social media, have made it seemingly impossible. Everybody who wants his or her own reality can find "proofs" supporting it. They can "do their own research."

If half the country is willing to risk death because they think vaccines are more dangerous than a virus that is killing people in their midst, do you really think we're ever going to give up radical religiousness?
Old 05-25-2022, 01:24 PM   #1150
Pretty Little Flower

The truth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPvf5RgCU08

Doesn’t matter, though. Nothing is going to change. It is, candidly, nothing short of embarrassing to be an American at this point in history. We have failed.

I am not sorry.
Pretty Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:30 PM   #1151
Hank Chinaski

Re: The truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Little Flower View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPvf5RgCU08

Doesn’t matter, though. Nothing is going to change. It is, candidly, nothing short of embarrassing to be an American at this point in history. We have failed.
The last was not 10 miles from my office. On Facebook I learned my cousin's grandson was in a locked class in the school. The boy's mom is my FB friend. She posted the text exchange between her and the boy. The most horrific part was the lack of surprise from either person.
Old 05-25-2022, 05:18 PM   #1152
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
The last was not 10 miles from my office. On Facebook I learned my cousin's grandson was in a locked class in the school. The boy's mom is my FB friend. She posted the text exchange between her and the boy. The most horrific part was the lack of surprise from either person.
The country is literally becoming fractured and the legislators captured to the point that it is resembling a developing nation.

Zero sum politics. Newt Gingrich will be the central villain when history writes itself accurately in 200 years. That’s the only path to the Senate’s refusal to pass what 90% of the nation wants.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:33 PM   #1153
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Have you looked into getting Italian citizenship via jure sanguinis? Might be a nice little option for the kids if they want to get out of here. Full access to the EU.
Old 05-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #1154
Hank Chinaski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Did you just call me Coltrane? View Post
Have you looked into getting Italian citizenship via jure sanguinis? Might be a nice little option for the kids if they want to get out of here. Full access to the EU.
Here’s the problem: Italians are sexist as all fuck.

The default rule is if your grandparents were citizens of Italy when your parent was born (here) you can get I-tie citizenship. And my mom remembers helping my G-ma (came here in 1928 after the anti Italian immigrant law) study for the citizenship exam, so yes!

But the fucking law does not care about grandmothers. Your grandfather must still have been an Italian citizen when parent born. And he came here in 1922 to make $$$ so he could send for gma. And the law was still friendly to Italians. He basically stepped off the boat and renounced his Italian citizenship to become American (sad face). Mommy born in 1935 to an American father.

Last edited by Hank Chinaski; 05-25-2022 at 11:53 PM..
Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 02:14 PM   #1155
LessinSF
Wearing the cranky pants

Quote:
Here’s the problem: Italians are sexist as all fuck.

The default rule is if your grandparents were citizens of Italy when your parent was born (here) you can get I-tie citizenship. And my mom remembers helping my G-ma (came here in 1928 after the anti Italian immigrant law) study for the citizenship exam, so yes!

But the fucking law does not care about grandmothers. Your grandfather must still have been an Italian citizen when parent born. And he came here in 1922 to make $$$ so he could send for gma. And the law was still friendly to Italians. He basically stepped off the boat and renounced his Italian citizenship to become American (sad face). Mommy born in 1935 to an American father.
Italy is one of many EU countries selling quasi-citizenship - https://www.globalcitizensolutions.c...y-golden-visa/