LawTalkers  

Go Back   LawTalkers > General Discussion > Politics

» Site Navigation
 > FAQ
» Online Users: 396
0 members and 396 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,499, 10-26-2015 at 07:55 AM.

Old 10-18-2024, 07:54 PM   #2791
Hank Chinaski
Proud Holder-Post 200,000

Re: Implanting Bill Gates's Micro-chips In Brains For Over 20 Years!

Paging Ty: I really didn’t listen in con law. Michigan had a vote to amend its Constitution to make any act that restricts abortion illegal. Can a federal statute violate a State Constitution?
Old 10-18-2024, 08:13 PM   #2792
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Paging Ty: I really didn’t listen in con law. Michigan had a vote to amend its Constitution to make any act that restricts abortion illegal. Can a federal statute violate a State Constitution?
I think the short answer is that the Supremacy Clause suggests that if the federal government passes a law that requires a result inconsistent with a state constitution, the federal law takes precedence. For example, I believe Wyoming used to elect state legislators from counties (or districts?) which would pick multiple candidates, and my recollection is that the federal government said this was inconsistent with civil rights legislation and forced a change to single districts. Whether or not I have the details right, I think that's the principle.

OTOH, for the federal law to apply, it would have to be enacted under Congress's enumerated powers, and it's not immediately clear to me how one would justify federal regulation of abortion law, which is not the way it works.

Which is to say, it's not clear to me that the answer to your question is so clear that it couldn't be engineered by the Supreme Court according to what conservatives decide the law should be. This Supreme Court seems particularly results-oriented and unbound by the way the law has been understood, especially on the issues that matter most to conservatives.
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2024, 07:11 PM   #2793
Icky Thump

Re: Yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post
"The past four years have highlighted the ways that Democrats exaggerate the political importance of racial identity. Joe Biden, after all, promised to nominate the first Black female Supreme Court justice (which he did) and chose Kamala Harris as the first Black vice president — who has now succeeded him as the Democratic nominee. Yet Harris has less support from Black voters than Hillary Clinton did in 2016.

Biden also adopted the sort of welcoming immigration policies that Democrats have long believed Hispanic voters support. He loosened border rules early in his term, which helped millions of people enter the country. In spite of that change — or maybe partly because of it — Democrats have also lost Hispanic support.
. . .

More generally, many voters have come to see the Democratic Party as the party of the establishment. That may sound vague and vibesy, but it’s real. Trump’s disdain for the establishment appeals to dissatisfied voters of all races. As my colleague Nate Cohn points out, a sizable minority of Black and Hispanic voters think 'people who are offended by Donald Trump take his words too seriously.'

The Democrats’ second big problem is that they have wrongly imagined voters of colors to be classic progressives. In reality, the most left-wing segment of the population is heavily white, the Pew Research Center has found. While white Democrats have become even more liberal in recent decades, many working-class voters of color remain moderate to conservative."

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/10/14/b...tion-poll.html
That’s what happens when bread goes up a dollar. But I tell people, bread is cheaper in Russia.
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM   #2794
sebastian_dangerfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icky Thump View Post
That’s what happens when bread goes up a dollar. But I tell people, bread is cheaper in Russia.
Normal people just don't like progressives. It's a thing.

I don't think they like MAGA, either.

Pet theory on why Trump's numbers are resilient:

1. Inflation
2. Immigration

Hardly revelatory, I know. But those are bedrocks. Kind of like Harris' bedrock issue, which is reproductive rights.

Where it gets interesting, IMO, is the third issue, which I'd call "Officious Overreach."

There is a type of person, and they seem to gravitate toward progressive and right-wing politics, who think they know what's best for everyone, and insist that their views be enshrined in policy.

In the 80s, this was most pungently apparent in the behaviors of people like Brent Bozell and Focus on the Family groups boycotting media and products advertised on it which they deemed obscene. They even got Ed Meese to get behind policies to try to police and ban what offended them.

This pissed off the quiet majority of the country. And Meese became a kind of politically toxic Joe McCarthy in his day. Despite all their efforts, these "morality hall monitors" failed. Normal people told them to fuck off. And so they went back under their rocks and festered within the evangelical and fundamentalist cultures.

From 2010 on (and really aggressively after 2016), the most pungent example of this busy-bodyism has been the progressives. They've been scolding everyone who isn't 100% on their page for wrongthink for a long time now, and people are really irritated by it.

Unlike Meese and Bozell and the "culture police" of the 80s, who had to fight against an often mocking and openly disdainful media, the current puritans enjoy the support of much of the mainstream media.

Now, of course, few people watch mainstream media anymore, so this support is limited. But it is enough to keep their message - their insistent, naive, and white-hot righteous scolding - loud enough to create a highly annoying background noise withing our politics.

We can ignore the MAGA because, well, they're overtly nuts. They're in red hats, at rallies, assuming a posture akin to something between LaRouche supporters and Birch Society Members.

But its not so easy to ignore the left wing culture police. They look a bit more normal, they are far more articulate, often credentialed (in silly subjects, but nevertheless adequate to put letters behind their names) and they're armed with just enough pseudo-intellectual and pseudo-scientific "scholarship" to present defenses of their frequently preposterous positions.

Nobody wants a govt of hall monitors. Nobody wants to be scolded about how he needs to think by some 35 year old PhD in gender studies or intersectional anthropology.

This country's essential DNA is still individualism. One cannot expect to get anywhere in America by perpetually tsk-tsking people in a strident and self-assured manner. Particularly where, in the case of progressivism, the intellectual and empirical underpinnings of the ideology are weak and falter under even slight cross-examination. (Every extreme ideology falters the same way.) The quiet majority are not fools. They may be credulous in some regards, as all people are, but they can spot people selling unrealistic utopian policies.

It doesn't sell any form of widget and it certainly doesn't sell political candidates to tell people "We know what's best and you must listen to us." First, people who say that are almost always dead wrong. If one is that strident, he is demented, and that dementia is negatively impacting his thinking and his judgment. So whatever he's selling is probably going to turn out horribly post-purchase. Second, at no time in human history has anyone ever successfully shamed his opponents into conceding he is right and they are wrong. The rigorous studies explaining why are myriad (Haidt's The Righteous Mind is a good start.)

Telling half the country they mustn't - they cannot, ever - vote for a certain candidate is a great way to drive tons of voters to that candidate. Like it or not, this country reveres the outlaws, not the compliance officers who tell us "no" and school marms handing out detentions. We were founded on the idea that nobody tells us what to do.

And that's a good thing. Because that preserves the ragged and often cruel dynamism that has made this country different and better in many regards than all others.

If His Orangeness should win this fall, which looks increasingly possible, if not perhaps likely, I would hope the left takes a different tack toward this Project 2025 stuff (should there be an attempt to enshrine it in law). Rather than scold everyone and offer its own competing vision of a controlled and managed society, make the argument that every American feels in his or her bones: "No. I'm not going to do what you tell me. Go ahead and try to make me."

The last thing anyone needs - the very worst thing imaginable - is what we have now: One side arguing "My version of a control structure for our govt and culture is best," countered by, "No, yours sucks. My version of a control structure is best."

How about both of these groups of assholes stop trying to control everyone and instead, live and let live?

This would be welcome by all of us in the middle, who are sick and tired of attempts by competing groups of Officious Overreachers to dictate how the rest of us are expected to behave.

Last edited by sebastian_dangerfield; Yesterday at 12:29 PM..
sebastian_dangerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #2795
Did you just call me Coltrane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian_dangerfield View Post

1. Inflation
2. Immigration
Deporting a ton of immigrants is going to have a direct effect on prices.

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM   #2796
Tyrone Slothrop
Moderasaurus Rex

How the mighty have fallen.

Quote:
A federal judge on Tuesday ordered former Donald Trump attorney and New York mayor Rudy Giuliani to turn over all his valuable possessions and his Manhattan penthouse apartment to the control of Ruby Freeman and Shaye Moss, the Georgia election workers he defamed and to whom he now owes $150 million.

Judge Lewis Liman of the federal court in Manhattan said Giuliani must turn over his interest in the property to the women in seven days, to a receivership they will control. The judge’s turnover order of the luxury items is swift and simple, but the penthouse apartment will have its control transferred so Freeman and Moss can sell it, potentially for millions of dollars.

The women, who counted Georgia ballots after the 2020 election, will also be entitled to about $2 million in legal fees Giuliani has said the Trump campaign still owes him, the judge ruled.

In addition to the Trump campaign fees and the New York apartment, Giuliani must also turn over a collection of several watches, including ones given to him by European presidents after the September 11, 2001, attacks; a signed Joe DiMaggio jersey and other sports memorabilia; and a 1980 Mercedes once owned by the Hollywood star Lauren Bacall. Additionally, the judge ordered that Giuliani turn over his television, items of furniture and jewelry.
CNN
“It was fortunate that so few men acted according to moral principle, because it was so easy to get principles wrong, and a determined person acting on mistaken principles could really do some damage." - Larissa MacFarquhar
Tyrone Slothrop is offline   Reply With Quote